Vent area raw HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chayton, Dec 30, 2010.

1. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    One of my hens has lost feathers around her vent and the area is fairly pink. Its not bloody raw just redish raw(sorry for the description, but thats the way it looks). I have not noticed any of the other hens picking at her and she still looks and acts healthy. I just want to head off a serious problem if one arises. I did put some Rooster Booster on it tonight for lack of any other ideas.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It does sound like you have a feather picker, have you also checked for lice or mites? Do you leave a light on 24/7? That can aggravate the problem. It would be a good idea to try to find out who or what is going on to head off anything more serious. Do you have bluekote it's covers the skin and makes it purple might help. Bluekote also makes everything it comes in contact purple so beware when you spray it.

3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    post a picture. There is another post about a rooster having hemmoroids and it didnt have a happy ending. Died of parasites and his butt was raw too. look it up and see if it is similar.
    good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by