Vent deformity in 4 week old chick

slhastings

Hatching
Jun 18, 2023
I have a 4 week-old Brahma that recently developed a lump or deformity right above her vent. She has been pecking at it non-stop causing it to bleed. I’ve been putting Hen Healer on it, but as soon as I put her back in the brooder she pecks it all off. This seems to be very bothersome to her but I have no idea what to try next. Any advice is appreciated!

*her cloaca is fine..she is pooping normal and she is eating/drinking as usual.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0174.jpeg
    IMG_0174.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 13
I have a 4 week-old Brahma that recently developed a lump or deformity right above her vent. She has been pecking at it non-stop causing it to bleed. I’ve been putting Hen Healer on it, but as soon as I put her back in the brooder she pecks it all off. This seems to be very bothersome to her but I have no idea what to try next. Any advice is appreciated!

*her cloaca is fine..she is pooping normal and she is eating/drinking as usual.
It looks like she's picking at her preening gland. It may be clogged up or infected.
Apply warm compresses and see if any oil comes from the nub. I would use triple antibiotic ointment instead of Hen Healer. Hen healer is good for soothing irritations but it has not antiseptic/antibiotic properties.

Can we see a photos of the whole chick?
What do you feed?
Do you provide a dust bathing area for your chicks?
I'd start giving her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily as well.

1687147254833.png

Back
Top Bottom