Vent Gleet and prolapse

Denise1015

Chirping
Jul 14, 2020
Hello! My hen has what looks to be Vent Gleet. See photo. She also has prolapse for 3 days. She had an egg stuck but I was able to help her pass. She gurgles at times. I bathe her in warm water/epsom salt times 2 a day. I have used Monistat cream, honey and olive oil. I can’t seem to get her prolapse to heal. She is in dog crate and covered to stop egg production. I also gave her tylan as she sounds like she has a respiratory issue. I know the tylan won’t help the gleet. I am considering stopping and giving her probiotics, ACV in water and plain yogurt. Thoughts or recommendations. Thank you!

Attachments

• 14A56B4A-7289-450C-BFA7-3FFB18C7AC63.png
    14A56B4A-7289-450C-BFA7-3FFB18C7AC63.png
    567.9 KB · Views: 63
The picture is not good enough to see the vent area. Some prolapses may take days to a week to go back in a stay. Keep the prolapse moist with honey or mild cream/oil, and try pushing it back inside often. Is her crop emptying overnight? If her crop is full and puffy in the morning before she eats or drinks, she might have a slow or sour crop.

The picture is not good enough to see the vent area. Some prolapses may take days to a week to go back in a stay. Keep the prolapse moist with honey or mild cream/oil, and try pushing it back inside often. Is her crop emptying overnight? If her crop is full and puffy in the morning before she eats or drinks, she might have a slow or sour crop.

Attachments

• E2C55BFA-3CF4-403D-967D-6BBA5A3CA84A.jpeg
    E2C55BFA-3CF4-403D-967D-6BBA5A3CA84A.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 37
Here is an updated photo. She is a bit better but continues to strain. Giving her a tum crushed in feed and ACV in water. Baths times 2. Do you think the recommended honey could be making things worse? Thank
You!

Hello! My hen has what looks to be Vent Gleet. See photo. She also has prolapse for 3 days. She had an egg stuck but I was able to help her pass. She gurgles at times. I bathe her in warm water/epsom salt times 2 a day. I have used Monistat cream, honey and olive oil. I can’t seem to get her prolapse to heal. She is in dog crate and covered to stop egg production. I also gave her tylan as she sounds like she has a respiratory issue. I know the tylan won’t help the gleet. I am considering stopping and giving her probiotics, ACV in water and plain yogurt. Thoughts or recommendations. Thank you!

My hen recovered after a worse prolapse. I did the following:

Bath with only water as needed. While she sat in the water, I covered her in a ton of aquaphor, pushed the vent in with a gloved finger, and held in for a few minutes.

I followed up with more aquaphor and neosporin.

I read about honey and epsom salt too, but I decided to keep it simpler. Sugar and salt didn’t seem right to me!

Here is an updated photo. She is a bit better but continues to strain. Giving her a tum crushed in feed and ACV in water. Baths times 2. Do you think the recommended honey could be making things worse? Thank
You!
Sorry that I haven‘t kept up with your thread. How is your hen recovering? Honey is good for keeping her vent lubricated, but it also helps reduce swelling and has antibiotic properties.

Back
Top Bottom