Vent gleet, egg bound? Or both?!

sophie90

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2020
South Wales, UK
*Graphic Pics*

Not sure whether I need to be treating for egg binding or vent gleet - or whether the two go hand in hand? Or one has caused the other?

Rihenna is a big girl, 9 months-ish old and usually a trouble-free, regular layer. However when I went into the run to get her yesterday I did find a soft shell egg but can’t be 100% that it was her as she hadn’t yet been isolated.

She’s off her food, just a couple of pecks yesterday and some sips of water. I cleaned up her poopy bum which wasn’t particularly smelly I don’t think, dabbed on some gentian violet and isolated her yesterday and She’s now in a dog crate inside (will be getting some yoghurt, calcium, Epsom salts within the next couple of hours that I’ve ordered)

As you can see, shes just had a warm bath this morning (obviously without the Epsom salts as I hadn’t got them yet), she’s straining terrible and making little noises which are breaking my heart! When she does strain her vent pops out a little like you see in the pics and some poop does come out. There’s some swelling in the abdomen but can’t say that I nessecarily feel an egg in there.

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated! 🙏🏻

No vets available unfortunately and as negative as it may sound, I’d never want to prolong her suffering if she’s in pain 💔 - how long should I try these things before thinking of putting her out of her misery?

Attachments

• F2A2A3A9-9F80-4909-974E-2A5D8DD4476D.jpeg
    F2A2A3A9-9F80-4909-974E-2A5D8DD4476D.jpeg
    692.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 1869490C-C67B-4399-9295-A2303D692AAC.jpeg
    1869490C-C67B-4399-9295-A2303D692AAC.jpeg
    798.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 945050F6-18EB-45B1-8B75-FA7B5C0BE917.jpeg
    945050F6-18EB-45B1-8B75-FA7B5C0BE917.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 31
*Graphic Pics*

Not sure whether I need to be treating for egg binding or vent gleet - or whether the two go hand in hand? Or one has caused the other?

Rihenna is a big girl, 9 months-ish old and usually a trouble-free, regular layer. However when I went into the run to get her yesterday I did find a soft shell egg but can’t be 100% that it was her as she hadn’t yet been isolated.

She’s off her food, just a couple of pecks yesterday and some sips of water. I cleaned up her poopy bum which wasn’t particularly smelly I don’t think, dabbed on some gentian violet and isolated her yesterday and She’s now in a dog crate inside (will be getting some yoghurt, calcium, Epsom salts within the next couple of hours that I’ve ordered)

As you can see, shes just had a warm bath this morning (obviously without the Epsom salts as I hadn’t got them yet), she’s straining terrible and making little noises which are breaking my heart! When she does strain her vent pops out a little like you see in the pics and some poop does come out. There’s some swelling in the abdomen but can’t say that I nessecarily feel an egg in there.

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated! 🙏🏻

No vets available unfortunately and as negative as it may sound, I’d never want to prolong her suffering if she’s in pain 💔 - how long should I try these things before thinking of putting her out of her misery?
*EDIT* literally as I posted I heard a little thud... an egg!!

She is still straining however and her butt is pretty bloody, see pic! Could there be a second egg stuck in there?

Attachments

• 32056354-CAE6-437A-B817-8006325CCFB1.jpeg
    32056354-CAE6-437A-B817-8006325CCFB1.jpeg
    650.9 KB · Views: 29
She’s still the same really, had a few more baths and she did perk up a bit after laying on Saturday and had some food and water which was she wasn’t doing before.

I gave her some yoghurt with probiotics, and calcium and some coconut oil incase she’s constipated. She has been passing small amount of poop every so often and I’ve been cleaning it off in the bath, though some bits are very firm in the vent and I’m conscious of picking too hard to try and get them off.

Today she looks much the same and I’m sure I feel mass inside which maybe an egg when I bathed her earlier. She’s drinking a bit today but not interested in eating really 😔

Back
Top Bottom