Vent Gleet in Female

Waldo09

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2020
Hi All,

My female Pekin duck has not been herself lately. She won’t really quack like she normally does, is being pretty lazy, and has yellow discharge coming from her vent. She won’t eat, but will drink water. She even laid a normal egg today. This came on literally within the last 48 hours-she was a little weird yesterday, but I found the discharge today. I know it’s dumb of me, but I thought the weather (it’s been really rainy here) was just throwing her off, but it’s clear today that isn’t the case. From googling, I’ve found she might have vent gleet, but I’m not sure.
What do you think? How can I help her?

I really love my Pigwidgeon and I want hernot to be fatally ill. Please, please help me! I’m so worried.

Thanks in advance,
Katie

No. She unfortunately passed away. It wasn’t vent gleet, either-she died from egg yolk peritonitis, and by the time we found out, she was gone. We are all very sad in this house, including her male duck companion. She died the very next day after I posted this.

And she was always well cared for- lots of fresh water to swim in and fresh hay to lay in. It’s just one of those things-she has laid Shell-less eggs in the past and was definitely an overlayer. She laid like, 3 eggs in a day more often than not, so we were always careful about her nutrition levels. We are actively looking for a female companion for her mate now so he doesn’t get depressed. It’s just so heartbreaking to lose our little girl.

Back
Top Bottom