Vent Gleet- Poo stuck under vent on skin

Jday

Chirping
Jan 1, 2017
Hi everyone, I've recently gotten a Easter Egger. The woman I got her from didn't know she had vent gleet. I started treating her a week ago this past sunday August 11th. She took off into the woods only after two bottom soaks and some bacterial spray. I finally got her to come home this last Friday and have been soaking her everyday since then in Epsom salt and a little dawn dish soap. My concern is there is dried on poo under her vent and I can't get it off for the life of me.

Do you have any pictures? What made you think that she has vent gleet and not just a poopy butt? Have you tried soaking her in warm Epsom salts or soapy water for about 20 minutes and then washing her feathers well? Trimming the excess feathers can sometimes help when a hen is having runny droppings that may cling to feathers.

How does she smell? What are you feeding her? Does she have any red skin, white patches, missing feathers around her vent, or a constant leakage of foul smelling droppings? Nustock cream applied twice a day to the vent can be helpful to treat gleet or fungal infection. Nystatin or Medistan can be given to treat a fungal infection in the digestive tract. Probiotics twice a week can be helpful as well.

Do you have any pictures? What made you think that she has vent gleet and not just a poopy butt? Have you tried soaking her in warm Epsom salts or soapy water for about 20 minutes and then washing her feathers well? Trimming the excess feathers can sometimes help when a hen is having runny droppings that may cling to feathers.

How does she smell? What are you feeding her? Does she have any red skin, white patches, missing feathers around her vent, or a constant leakage of foul smelling droppings? Nustock cream applied twice a day to the vent can be helpful to treat gleet or fungal infection. Nystatin or Medistan can be given to treat a fungal infection in the digestive tract. Probiotics twice a week can be helpful as well.

I have been giving her warm Epsom salt baths every day steady for a 5 days now. Probiotics every day in her feed. I've been giving her Dumor layer feed. She also free ranges. When I got her two weeks ago I noticed a really stinky smell...her butt feathers were all yucky and she stunk. So I googled chicken stinky butt lol. It told me vent gleet. So I did what it said online soaks and I've been spraying her vent afterwards with Banixx for Chixx. I've also trimmed the feathers around her butt. I'll get a picture when she let's me lol

It sounds like you are doing everything right. If her odor has improved, and she has not raw areas or white patches around her vent, then she may not have vent gleet. She may just have been really dirty or had been in bad conditions. The good thing is that you may have prevented her from ending up with flystike from maggots infesting the site. Here is some reading about gleet:
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...s-vent-gleet-and-how-can-I-treat-my-H491.aspx
upload_2019-8-20_14-32-6.jpeg

That's what her bottom looked like when I got her, I kind of figured something was not right with the smell. As my other chickens don't smell like that. So that's when I did some research. When I soak her the area below the vent gets red but fades. It looks like extremely dried poo on the under side of the vent. She hasn't laid an egg since last Friday. I'm not sure if she did while she took off in the woods.

20190820_193227.jpg

That's what her bottom looked like when I got her, I kind of figured something was not right with the smell. As my other chickens don't smell like that. So that's when I did some research. When I soak her the area below the vent gets red but fades. It looks like extremely dried poo on the under side of the vent. She hasn't laid an egg since last Friday. I'm not sure if she did while she took off in the woods.

I believe that she may have suffered a prolapsed vent, and the dark material could be necrotic or dead tissue. Instead of a prolapse she may have just been vent pecked severely. Vent pecking can be from overcrowding in her previous home or during her transfer. Either one could have caused infection or vent damage. I would keep up the daily soaks, and put antibiotic ointment on the vent. Hopefully it starts to heal. Is she pooping normally? Can you see her vent? Here is some reading about vent prolapse:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

So after you told me about the flies I freaked out, I'm a first time chicken owner. I had my daughter help me, I took a small box cutter ready for anything. She had half of a fingernail of tried poop on her vent. I had to cut it off with the box cutter. Afterwards I soaked her for 15 minutes and then put the bacterial spray on there with some triple antibiotic cream all around her vent

Oh I see. I just saw the first picture and presumed a prolapse. The new picture looks more normal. I would say that whatever caused the gunky material on her vent is pretty much cleaned up.

Back
Top Bottom