Vent gleet? Prolapse? Egg binding?

Imustbecrazy1

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Hi everyone! Let me say thank you first for taking the time to read this post, my poor “Ma” will appreciate any help as will I.
We have a small flock of 6 backyard chickens. They are a little over a year old. “Ma”, went a few days of no egg laying and pasty butt feathers. At times her vent even looks like it could be prolapsed, but it goes in and out throughout the day. We soaked her in a warm epsom salt bath and have been the last few days. She has been laying eggs since the soaking started but they are always crushed. Please see the photos I will post of her vent. I don’t know what to do and what her actual problem is. She goes back and forth with her vent looking like these photos. What should I do? Antibiotics? Cortisone cream? If her vent stays out do I replace it?
Thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

• 9425D926-1A48-47D7-A922-A0B000312F89.jpeg
    9425D926-1A48-47D7-A922-A0B000312F89.jpeg
    449.8 KB · Views: 67
  • A5735840-13C6-470B-9DF1-7E5762D1D7C5.jpeg
    A5735840-13C6-470B-9DF1-7E5762D1D7C5.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 739C9F4D-EABB-44D4-8114-8C5DD5737C45.jpeg
    739C9F4D-EABB-44D4-8114-8C5DD5737C45.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 30
She has a prolapsed cloaca. That shows the openings to the oviduct and the large intestines coming together. As long as any of the red tissue is showing, it must be kept moist with honey, cream, or ointment, or it could dry out and die. Push it back whenever you see it out. Can you feel an egg inside, or has she been constipated and straining? Is she passing droppings? A messy vent with missing feathers and redness with a bad odor and leakage, could be a sign of vent gleet, a fungal infection. Vents can also be damaged by too large eggs, egg binding, prolapse in the past, vent gleet, and pecking by other chickens.

I would soak her bottom daily in warm Epsom salts or soapy water, and lubricate the prolapse with oil or honey. If vent gleet is suspected, Nustock horse cream or Miconazole (Monistat 7) cream is also used. Here is a good article to read:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Here is one about birds and prolapse:
https://www.dvm360.com/view/avian-cloacal-prolapses-proceedings

Thank you so much for your feedback! We’ve been soaking her every day and it seems to help. Is it common for a prolapse to move in and out throughout the day? She has been laying daily again and has been defecating but her stools are loose at times. I will definitely try some ointment like you suggested and will read those links you sent!

Some hens have a looser vent opening. Prolapses sometimes may slip back out for a few days after pushing them back inside, especially after pooping or laying an egg. If that becomes a problem, you can stop laying temporarily by placing them in the dark for 16 out of every 24 hours each day. It takes 3-4 days to achieve this.

Thanks for the help so far! Now Ma doesn’t have a prolapse I noticed clear fluid dripping from her for a few day…she’s definitely lost weight and looks very raggedy. My poor baby. The skin around her vent looks like white sandpaper. We picked up som vent spray to see if that helps. I’m very worried about her. She isn’t looking great. And I haven’t seen an egg from her in weeks. She’s hanging around the coop and roosting much more now too. Any ideas?

Is she molting at this time? That could be why she is not laying. She may have suffered some damage to her vent after her prolapse, as evidenced by the fluid and now the sandpaper like skin. Has she been pecked at all? Vent gleet is another possibility, but that usually includes a bad odor, leaking urates, and red bare skin around the vent. Hopefully the cream will help.

Back
Top Bottom