Vent Gleet/Prolapse/or something else?

brickmom68

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2022
I have a sapphire gem, about 2 years old. Hasn’t seemed off her game at all. I was out with the girls yesterday and noticed some pink staining on the feathers along her back and when I was watching her I noticed her butt feathers were filthy and matted. I soaked her in warm water—that goo was very resistant to coming off! She has thick white goo oozing from her vent and her vent is protuberant and cherry red. The surrounding skin looks okay. I cleaned her up, but the white goo is a constant ooze. Her crop seems fine and her demeanor seems normal. I isolated her in my heated garage—so she’s a little salty…her poops seem normal. They eat Dumor layer feed, supplement with oyster shell, BSF treats and the occasional cast of veggies/fruits. I started her on Monistat suppository 2X/day orally and smeared a little cream on her vent. Oh…and today I went to my coop and found a rubber egg from one of my other hens! But all their buts appear fluffy and normal! Photos (graphic) to follow. And additional advice appreciated.

Attachments

• C6A0E7DB-9666-4863-A77E-5DB5F2AD846A.jpeg
    C6A0E7DB-9666-4863-A77E-5DB5F2AD846A.jpeg
    516 KB · Views: 171
  • 3CB0D123-F762-4F5F-AB81-DA3E945651EB.jpeg
    3CB0D123-F762-4F5F-AB81-DA3E945651EB.jpeg
    544.9 KB · Views: 8
It does look like a prolapsed vent to me. It is important to keep the prolapse moist. I would clean her up, then spray the prolapse with vetrycin or coat with Vaseline and gently push the prolapse back in. Just keep checking it has stayed in, she could prolapse again when passing an egg, a dose of calcium 600 mg plus vitamin D 3 can be helpful if she straining to pass an egg.

One thing at a time. As long as she's prolapsed, concentrate on that. The other issues can wait. If there's an obstruction, a flush isn't a good idea until it clears. I still believe her white slimy discharge is from the oviduct obstruction. This can produce the most acrid smelling discharge, you want to hold your breath. This resolves when the obstruction clears.

An Epsom salt flush is intense, and it must be administered by tubing directly into the crop. The most difficult part is obtaining the tubing and syringe. You can get a kit for a small animal from most vets. The tube is inserted into the right side of the beak, going slightly under the tongue and then down into the crop. The rest is quite easy and safe even if you've never done it. It's not going to risk aspirating the hen as long as the tube is securely inserted into the crop.

The flush is done twice a day for three straight days, very intense, but it will flush all the mold out of her system. Each dose is one half cup warmed water with one teaspoon Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). This may not be necessary if the prolapse resolves and the discharge also resolves with it.
I was able to reduce her prolapse this morning after a nice warm soak/massage/digital exam. I did not feel an egg or any remnants inside her—but it IS my first chicken GYN exam. 🤷‍♀️ She looks good—active, ravenously hungry, red upstanding comb. I gave her a calcium AND a Monistat, freshened up the crate and changed her food & water. It’s terribly cold and windy here, but she was hopping all over the crate like she wants out real bad so once she’s good and dry my husband and I were considering taking her for a walk in the yard—thought it might ‘get things moving’.

It does look like a prolapsed vent to me. It is important to keep the prolapse moist. I would clean her up, then spray the prolapse with vetrycin or coat with Vaseline and gently push the prolapse back in. Just keep checking it has stayed in, she could prolapse again when passing an egg, a dose of calcium 600 mg plus vitamin D 3 can be helpful if she straining to pass an egg.
Thank you! Do you think it’s prolapsed AND vent gleet? Am I doing the right thing by giving her Monistat?

Thank you! Do you think it’s prolapsed AND vent gleet? Am I doing the right thing by giving her Monistat?
Vent Gleet is a white pasty, yeasty smelling discharge coming from the vent. Have you felt her crop or smell any bad odour coming from her mouth? I would carry on with the Monistat and see how she goes, I would also give her some probiotics.

Just to add, has she been laying normally? Have you checked to see if she is struggling to pass an egg? An Epsom salt bath is a good option when you clean her, also if she is struggling to pass an egg.
I have read you can do an Epsom salt flush for vent gleet, but I have no experience, maybe @azygous could advise you on that.

Be sure to keep this hen separated inside a dog crate or other way, so that she doesn’t get her vent pecked and damaged while the prolapse is out. It looks like others have been pecking out her feathers under the vent already. They will peck at anything red.

The white slime is a trademark symptom of a stuck egg. Been though enough of them in my flock to recognize it. There are physical dynamics causing it, which encourage dehydration, so offer her plenty of fresh water. You might put a teaspoon of sugar in it to boost her glucose.

The calcium must be at least 600 mg worth. Anything less will not be effective to encourage the contractions necessary to expel the egg. Give one whole calcium tablet directly into the beak. If it's Tums, the darned tablet is so large, break it in half. But the calcium best suited for this job is calcium citrate as it is digested easier than all the other forms and goes to work faster. This is a health emergency, not to be treated any less than that.

Back
Top Bottom