vent gleet question

trudyg

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 3, 2013
North Alabama
During my check this morning, I noticed that one hen's vent had clear liquid on it. This hen always has a wet poop when handled (usually gets my leg pretty good but this time just shot off onto the floor), so it could have been from taking her off the roost during the night. Also, she was the last of them to get pulled last night and the others had fussed and made a ruckus, so she was already upset before I handled her. There was no odor. She had white stuff on the outer tips of her feathers, so I clipped it off and looked closely, no lice, no irritation or anything other than healthy pink--just a wet streak.

How do I know if this is early vent gleet? I'll start putting yogurt in their food, they eat all-flock already and I wet it (it's hot, so I wet if so they get extra fluid). I'll watch for messy bottom and clean it up, but what else do I watch for and do?

With Vent Gleet there is a white(ish) pasty, smelly discharge.

You mention that the liquid was clear, was it just watery or like egg whites? I'm assuming you pulled them in the night for a parasite check?

If you don't notice a strong odor and she is eating/drinking well then I would just monitor her.

Yes, I pulled for a routine parasite check. I had fought scaly leg mites for some time last summer/fall and have gotten into this habit once a month or so. The clear liquid was not thick like egg white but not all thin like water, had the sheen of egg white but much thinner consistency. She eats and drinks well, is active and one of my consistent layers. She is one of several who have had nasty butts in the past, so I've been watching for butt issues. That got better when we stopped the treats. It never appeared to be gleet but a messy but can invite other issues and I want to nip it in the bud. Thank you, I will keep an eye out.

Trudy have you ever had a fecal float to check for worms?

Hens in lay have a naturally moist vent. If she is one of your consistent layers, she may have a little bit of a stretched vent/cloaca that is allowing more of a discharge. That's just a thought.

I've never done a fecal float. I'd have to go to the vet for that? I no longer have a cat or a dog because of the local vet--they try to guilt you into treating/testing for things that are unnecessary (feline leukemia test for a 17 year old cat--wouldn't treat at this age if she did have it, so why test. Then she informed me that I should never have a pet since I don't care enough.....) Anyway, if you think a fecal float would tell me something and would be worth the test, I can do it. I scoop the poop board every morning anyway, so could just put all the droppings in a jar, mix and then use some of that as my sample? That would tell me if I need to treat and for what, right? I last gave ivermectin some time ago as part of my scaly leg mite treatment, but it's been awhile. They free range on a large area of orchard, just over 1/2 acre total for (now) 14 birds. Might be good to do it regardless, since my chicks are coming into lay fairly soon and this would be a good time to worm the group. There's a vet down the street from where I work and I'd probably just walk down to there.

A fecal float would check for worms if you feel that may be a cause of the runny poop/dirty bums. A vet should be able to perform that for you. A sampling a poop is the way to go for that.

Back
Top Bottom