Vent gleet

Candy11

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Is there anything to get the hard crust to break up. My Roo had been going downhill for a week and I need to get that vent gleet cleared up. HELP

Attachments

• 20210306_093717.jpg
    20210306_093717.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 24
I have to give him water by dropper. He won't eat or drink.

Attachments

• 20210306_095819.jpg
    20210306_095819.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 17
After letting my bird soak for about 5 to 10 minutes, I use a gloved hand to gently manipulate it to break up the build up and (again gently) remove it without pulling. I know that some people will use coconut/vegetable oil to help loosen it up and remove it.

Have you soaked him in some warm water or used a wet cloth to help loosen the built up matter?

I'm so sorry your rooster is unwell.
Yes we are doing that every day. The coconut oil is breaking up the lower part piece by piece. But he is so depressed and Im trying to figure out whether I should feed him by tube because he won't eat and he is losing weight. Maybe white rice? Oatmeal? He poops only a little bit at a time. The vet is not in until Tuesday so I can't take in a fecal sample.

Have you soaked him in some warm water or used a wet cloth to help loosen the built up matter?

I'm so sorry your rooster is unwell.
We are doing that but the hardest and thickest is right up ther by his vent opening.

So he is able to poop? That's wonderful! What do his poops look like? Is his crop emptying fully overnight? Does he have any other signs of illness?
They are small but he had had very little to eat. He sleeps a lot. His comb is purple tipped. I'm keeping him in a large dog kennel in the house and giving him water. It's been a week now and we don't want to lose him, he's only 10 months old an a great rooster. One of our hens is his mother and he is part of the family.

Attachments

• 20210307_092506.jpg
    20210307_092506.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 17
His crop seems to empty but this morning I dad to lightly massage it till it emptied. There isn't much he's been eating and he's weak.

Back
Top Bottom