Vent Gleet

Dixiechick55

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
Our 3 year old Cinammon Queen Pinkie has what appears to be vent gleet. Whitish yellow drainage from her vent. This hs been happening for 2 days, though she has been isolating herself recently so may be generally not doing well. We've had 3 CQ's from the same batch die in the last few months of completely different causes (stomach cancer, reproductive issues).
I've read up on this, it seems some people recommend an epsom bath, some people recommend micronazole (I'm still a bit confused if they mean topically?)
I'd love and suggestions. She feels terrible, though is eating and drinking. Her tail is down and it seems she's been leaking fluid all night.

Do you have a picture of the vent? Is the drainage from her vent continuous, and is there a worse than normal odor? Has she laid eggs recently? How does her crop feel—empty, full, soft and puffy, hard, or doughy? Is she eating a drinking?

Do you have a picture of the vent? Is the drainage from her vent continuous, and is there a worse than normal odor? Has she laid eggs recently? How does her crop feel—empty, full, soft and puffy, hard, or doughy? Is she eating a drinking?
She is isolated so I'll see if she's laying but I suspect not. Her crop felt very empty yesterday. No intense odor. I'll try to get a pic when I do the epsom bath

She could be suffering from one of the reproductive disorders if she is not laying, or has had any shell-less eggs. If you suspect gleet, you can give 1/2 inch of miconazole twice a day orally, as well as use it on her vent area, if it is red and raw. Medistatin powder, equivalent to Nystatin is also used in a little water daily, and is available online. Keep her clean, and a daily warm soak can help with that. I would try to get her interested in eating and drinking. Some scrambled egg or tuna can be offered with some moistened chicken feed. Do you know if her brand of feed has probiotics in it?

She could be suffering from one of the reproductive disorders if she is not laying, or has had any shell-less eggs. If you suspect gleet, you can give 1/2 inch of miconazole twice a day orally, as well as use it on her vent area, if it is red and raw. Medistatin powder, equivalent to Nystatin is also used in a little water daily, and is available online. Keep her clean, and a daily warm soak can help with that. I would try to get her interested in eating and drinking. Some scrambled egg or tuna can be offered with some moistened chicken feed. Do you know if her brand of feed has probiotics in it?
I think this is an excellent assumption. Someone has been laying mushy eggs (they are usually eaten before I can inspect them) and its probably her. She is interested in food and water, just lethargic. He comb has a slightly blue tinge, which is never a good sign. I know CQ's can have reproductive issues. I just want to make her comfy. No foul odor to discharge.

Back
Top Bottom