Vent gleet

Stephlorraine

Chirping
Apr 26, 2022
I have a girl who has had vent gleet for some time. I’ve given copper sulfate, tried thrush cream in the vent for a whole week. I’ve been giving her chlorhexidine water (recommended by another page). It seemed to slow up. I was thinking it was getting better, then today she’s done a poo with bright white in it. I have oregano oil specifically made for pigs and poultry. Can anyone tell me if that will help? Or any remedies I can try that’s quick and effective? She’s fine other wise. Being a little picky in the morning with eating but usually of a night she has a full crop. Help please? Preferably something to treat the whole flock. Another girl has it now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Photos of her and her vent?

Does she have a leaking yeasty discharge from the vent?

The white is urates, I'd work on getting fluids into her. She may appreciate some plain fresh water. Sometimes when supplements, additives or medications are in the water, a hen will not drink very well and become dehydrated.

Is she crop emptying overnight?

Does she have a leaking yeasty discharge from the vent?

The white is urates, I'd work on getting fluids into her. She may appreciate some plain fresh water. Sometimes when supplements, additives or medications are in the water, a hen will not drink very well and become dehydrated.

Is she crop emptying overnight?
She does get discharge when she poops. White milky discharge, sometimes a more brighter white than other times. She isn’t just leaking down her bum fluff though. Her crop is emptying over night. I don’t have any vent pics, she is very quick. That poop pic was the milky discharge it had just dried up.

Can you take a sample to your vet for a fecal float? This will tell you if worms are the problem or not.
It’s only in the two sisters poops. They’re from the same batch of eggs. They both had a little impact in their crops and I had to treat them to get some unwanted grass out. This is going maybe a month back I’m thinking that may be the root of the issue. Could be something else, but my whole flock but 2 (they were inside being treated) were wormed with flubenol maybe 3 months ago now. I haven’t seen a sign of worms since. Usually I can see tiny ones moving in their caecal poops if worms are present. I don’t really want to have a vet trip if I don’t have to.

Back
Top Bottom