Vent Injury w/ White Discharge

Very likely the crop problem and the prolapse/injury/? is related.

Poor girl is swollen, injured and is leaking urates. Have you seen any real poop during this time - even loose poop?
She's not laid an egg or passed a membrane or anything like that either right?

Inflammation in the reproductive system and/or digestive system is going to cause the crop to slow, so it's not uncommon for the crop to not be emptying very well at this time.

Have you felt for an egg? Does look like she's trying to strain to poop or push an egg out?

I'd make sure she's got water during waking hours. Get the Calcium into her. I wouldn't vomit her.

Very likely the crop problem and the prolapse/injury/? is related.

Poor girl is swollen, injured and is leaking urates. Have you seen any real poop during this time - even loose poop?
She's not laid an egg or passed a membrane or anything like that either right?

Inflammation in the reproductive system and/or digestive system is going to cause the crop to slow, so it's not uncommon for the crop to not be emptying very well at this time.

Have you felt for an egg? Does look like she's trying to strain to poop or push an egg out?

I'd make sure she's got water during waking hours. Get the Calcium into her. I wouldn't vomit her.
Thank you!

She is pooping. Loose/watery stool.

No egg or membrane has been laid, and has not been acting like she needs to lay an egg either. She’s either standing, standing with head down or just laying down.

I have not felt an egg, but I will Google to make sure I’m doing it right?

How long is it ok for her to go without food? I’ve had it removed for 24hrs now. Is it ok to keep going? She is drinking water. Crop is still squishy this morning, but I forgot to remove the water last night.

I read a popular post on this site about treating crop problems and it said to give miconazole twice a day for sour crop. I started yesterday, should I not be doing that?

I do have the calcium citrate but stopped when I took the food away. Ok to give anyway?

Thank you!

You can feel inside the vent about 1" for an egg.

Yes, I'd go ahead and begin treating the crop symptom that hopefully helps get ahead of it turning sour.

Everyone does things a bit differently, I never withhold food/water during waking hours. She needs to stay hydrated for sure, but if you feel you must withhold food, then I would not go more than 24-36hrs. Offer her wet feed or bits of scrambled egg.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You can feel inside the vent about 1" for an egg.

Yes, I'd go ahead and begin treating the crop symptom that hopefully helps get ahead of it turning sour.

Everyone does things a bit differently, I never withhold food/water during waking hours. She needs to stay hydrated for sure, but if you feel you must withhold food, then I would not go more than 24-36hrs. Offer her wet feed or bits of scrambled egg.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for all of your help! It is appreciated more than you know. I’m so glad this website is here for the best advice. ♥️
Unfortunately she passed away a little earlier this evening. Her crop wasn’t changing and she was refusing to eat or drink. She became limp and seemed to be choking or aspirating, or gaping for air. She died suddenly. I feel awful for her and this whole situation. Thanks for guiding me while trying to help her.
I’ve since noticed that the hen that was chasing and pecking at her at the time I found her injured has been pulling feathers out of all the girls. She drew blood on the back of another today. I put her in a large wire dog crate with food and water inside my secure run for now and will be googling how to handle a bully next.🤦🏻‍♀️

Thank you for all of your help! It is appreciated more than you know. I’m so glad this website is here for the best advice. ♥️
Unfortunately she passed away a little earlier this evening. Her crop wasn’t changing and she was refusing to eat or drink. She became limp and seemed to be choking or aspirating, or gaping for air. She died suddenly. I feel awful for her and this whole situation. Thanks for guiding me while trying to help her.
I’ve since noticed that the hen that was chasing and pecking at her at the time I found her injured has been pulling feathers out of all the girls. She drew blood on the back of another today. I put her in a large wire dog crate with food and water inside my secure run for now and will be googling how to handle a bully next.🤦🏻‍♀️
I'm sorry to hear this:hugs

She may have had more going on there.

Hopefully you can find a solution with the chasing hen. Sometimes one can cause a lot of drama within the flock and it can take a while to resolve the situation.

Hopefully you can find a solution with the chasing hen. Sometimes one can cause a lot of drama within the flock and it can take a while to resolve the situation.

Thank you ♥️
Well, I let the aggressive chicken out today after 4 nights in a cage. The hens with missing back feathers were already starting to grow some fluff back. I watched her for about 10min this morning and she had no pecking behavior. I checked about 3 other times throughout the day and noticed nothing. All seemed well. I was gone at appointments for about 2.5 hrs and came home to find a dead hen, with the aggressive chicken pecking at her bottom. All bloodied up. I noticed 2 other hens with muffs/beard appeared to have some light brown staining as if they picked as well, but not to the degree of the aggressive chicken.
I have no idea if the dead hen randomly dropped dead and then her bottom was attacked, or if she was killed by the pecking. I did notice some blood on the ladder/ramp going into the coop as if she had been bleeding while still moving around. Perhaps being chased?
I am so sad about all of this. She is back in the dog crate until I can figure out what needs to be done. 😭

Oh no!
I'm sorry to hear that!

Could something else like a predator have attacked her?
Hens will pen at anything red, so I wonder if this other hen had a prolapse as well and was picked at?

What do you feed including treats?

I'm not sure what's happening, if the bully hen is attacking or picking at their vents when they lay eggs or if they are prolapsing/getting picked or if possible something is getting in and injuring the hen(s) and the result is picking at wounds.
Do you have cameras you can put up?

Oh no!
I'm sorry to hear that!

Could something else like a predator have attacked her?
Hens will pen at anything red, so I wonder if this other hen had a prolapse as well and was picked at?

What do you feed including treats?

I'm not sure what's happening, if the bully hen is attacking or picking at their vents when they lay eggs or if they are prolapsing/getting picked or if possible something is getting in and injuring the hen(s) and the result is picking at wounds.
Do you have cameras you can put up?
I’m not thinking a predator because I have 2 outdoor dogs that eat every animal they can catch on our property. We thankfully don’t have critters that get into our veggie garden ever for this reason (my chicken run is built with an invisible fence around it to protect the chickens from the dogs). My run is very secure as well. No bigger opening than 1/4in anywhere. But cameras wouldn’t be a bad idea to see what’s going on. Although I’m afraid to let her out again. Afraid of more damage and also what behaviors she could be teaching others. Assuming she is 100% the culprit.
While pulling the crate and feeding supplies back into the run I watched her pluck a feather out of 2 hens and attempt a 3rd, all within a minute. This is just wild. She might be meant for a full time free range flock to keep her occupied ☹️
I have been checking their vents every night because I feared one would be bloody again and get pecked. Everything has looked healthy….but yes a prolapse could have occurred during the day causing all of this. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Thanks for your insight and camera suggestion!

Looks like yolk. Maybe an oviduct infection. Or vent gleet with yeast from throat to behind. Try soaking it in warm water with epsom salts

Back
Top Bottom