Vent Picture-Bruised looking vent??

LBA830

Chirping
Jan 15, 2021
I just noticed this on my light brahma. The top of her vent area looks bruised and kind of swollen. She did lay an egg a few hours ago, but I’ve never noticed this on my girls before. Thoughts on what could be wrong?

Attachments

• 8F7F90E0-7E92-4E5A-9080-B741E552FE45.jpeg
    8F7F90E0-7E92-4E5A-9080-B741E552FE45.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 47
Honestly the first thing I thought was picking. It looks like another chicken might be picking at her vent. I’m no expert though.
She is at the bottom of the pecking order, so that makes sense 😕 I’ll put some vetericyn on her and see if that helps her.

Vent pecking can become dangerous and lead to cannibalism and death. I would try to spend time with them and determine who is doing this and perhaps separate them for a bit. You can get Nustock Cream or Pine Tar in the equine section of most feed stores, and those taste bad and can be healing, which may be helpful.

Is she laying eggs yet? If so, some hens may have a brief prolapse during laying, and the red can attract pecking. Make sure that you are feeding enough protein in a balanced feed, that they have enough room, and that they are getting outside to roam around, all which can have a good affect on feather picking and cannibalism.

Last edited:
Vent pecking can become dangerous and lead to cannibalism and death. I would try to spend time with them and determine who is doing this and perhaps separate them for a bit. You can get Nustock Cream or Pine Tar in the equine section of most feed stores, and those taste bad and can be healing, which may be helpful.

Is she laying eggs yet? If so, some hens may have a brief prolapse during laying, and the red can attract pecking. Make sure that you are feeding enough protein in a balanced feed, that they have enough room, and that they are getting outside to roam around, all which can have a good affect on feather picking and cannibalism.
I’m going to the feed store in the morning. I will absolutely look for one of those items! She started laying mid January of this year. Her and one other hen lay the biggest eggs of all my girls. I’ve been watching them extra in case of prolapse. They’ve been getting out a lot more now that the weather is warming up. We are currently building another run on the other side of the coop and just expanded the inside. Hopefully this will help too. Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom