Vent Prolapse and specific symptoms

Doorsopenat5

Chirping
Aug 24, 2020
Hi all, I know this has been posted about, and I read a lot of the posts but hoping I can get some guidance for my girl’s symptoms. Vent prolapse, noticed yesterday, cleaned the best I could w epsom salt warm soak, have tried to gently push back in but keeps coming out, tried sugar to shrink. In garage, limiting food and light to avoid egg laying. Didn’t feel anything hard like an egg there. She’s def uncomfortable and not acting like herself. Think the opening is messed up and she can’t pass much poop, she has been passing gas and straining a lot. The tissue looks necrotic too. Is this a lost cause or should I continue to try things? Please help, this is my favorite girl. Thank you!

Can you post a picture of the prolapse? Try to keep the tissues moist with some kind of ointment like Original Neosporin (without pain medication), Vaseline, Neosporin or the like. Can you do a search on here for vent prolapse?

Oh, almost forgot, you can also use Prep H, I understand that will help shrink the tissues a bit and also provide some relief. Good luck with her!

Hi all, I know this has been posted about, and I read a lot of the posts but hoping I can get some guidance for my girl’s symptoms. Vent prolapse, noticed yesterday, cleaned the best I could w epsom salt warm soak, have tried to gently push back in but keeps coming out, tried sugar to shrink. In garage, limiting food and light to avoid egg laying. Didn’t feel anything hard like an egg there. She’s def uncomfortable and not acting like herself. Think the opening is messed up and she can’t pass much poop, she has been passing gas and straining a lot. The tissue looks necrotic too. Is this a lost cause or should I continue to try things? Please help, this is my favorite girl. Thank you!
Please post photos.

Are you giving her extra Calcium? If not, then I would. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give her 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow.

What do you mean the opening is messed up? Was the tissue damaged, ripped or pecked before you got to her?
Often the tissue will not go in until swelling goes down, it can take days to weeks to correct a prolapse if at all.

Anti-inflammatory cream, honey, oil or some other ointment needs to be applied to the exposed tissue to keep it moist. If it does dry out, it will turn necrotic.

Limiting food and light to avoid egg laying. She would need to be in total darkness for 16hours a day to start the process of her coming out of lay. This process is not instantaneous, it will probably take a couple of weeks for her to come out of lay.
So, I would focus on keeping her hydrated and let her eat her normal feed. She's stressed out and not doing well, you do not want to withhold food if she's weak.

Back
Top Bottom