Vent Prolapse -- I'm trying but can't help her

1WildHairL8tr

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 6, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't know how old she is -- I was told she was 1 about 3 months ago. She's a sweet Polish hen. I don't know if she's ever laid before -- I don't think she has because I haven't gathered a small egg before.
I noticed today that her vent has prolapsed.
I brought her in and bathed her. Cleaned the area.
I probed inside and feel a small egg, but I am not able to get it out. I don't mean to sound curse, but I cannot find the right entry point, or hole. It's all so swollen and everytime I try to feel inside her, she bears down and the entire area falls out even more. I don't see or feel any other entry point, but I do feel the egg in there. I did get the egg "out" of her body but it's inside another pouch that I cannot get to. Does that make sense? I feel the egg, but cannot get into the right orafice to help it out of her body.
She's obviously in pain and I cannot continue to fish around, but I need to get that out.
As soon as I push the vent in, she pushes it out.
Clear, creamy-is liquid is dripping out, but the egg feels completely intact.
Obviously poop is just all over her vent.
Please help me.
How do I find the right entry point?
Thank you,
Cathi

I forgot to add: I did use soap and a betadine wash to cleanse the area and then drenched the vent in witch hazel. I also lubed the area when I pushed the vent back into her body.
She's now in a dog crate, covered and quiet.
She's on cardboard and has water and feed.
Thanks,
Cathi

I did it succesfully a couple of times as a kid... one time I failed and lost the hen... but that was 35 years ago... I wish I were in Tx to try and help out. God bless you. It sounds to me like you've done everything you can.

Last edited:
the egg must be laid first before you take measures (such as witchhazel etc) to replace the prolapse... please post a pic.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=79279#p79279

Here
is a good representation of the internal anatomy.
Egg binding and vent prolapse are serious problems that often re-occur.
Try to gently put the vent back inside. Be careful, this is an internal organ and can tear.
Do not put her in with any other birds while she has a prolapse or swollen vent. They would most likely pick at her vent until they kill her.

It is possible that she has laid internally rather than the egg coming to the outside. Unfortunately, internal laying, egg binding, and prolapsed vent often become chronic resulting in the death of the hen. Most often hens with these problems are euthanized.

I hope she recovers.

Chel

Its very important that you post a pic, I might be able to help but without seeing what you are I can't tell you how to proceed. If the pic shows what I need then I can tell you off board how to try and help her.

This tx is not something that should be posted generally because it could kill if the egg is not in the correct place for surgery.

Sorry for the delay -- we had games until late last night.
This morning, I've been outside tending to the coop.
Raylene has been in a dog kennel since yesterday. I do not see any signs that she has passed an egg. Her vent is still swollen but not prolapsed. I did see her go poop and the vent stayed inside her when she strained. Her bottom is covered with white goopy and runny stuff -- much the same is on the cardboard inside the kennel.
She's very alert today -- I let her out in the yard for a while to range, but she is still seperate from the others.
I had a hard time taking a picture of her, but here it is. Sorry not very clear:

RayleneVENT003.jpg

I'm sorry.
That picture is practically useless -- it's so fuzzy.
My husband will be home early this afternoon so I'll have him hold her while I take a better picture.
She does look so much better, though!

Back
Top Bottom