Vent Prolapse?

Mar 10, 2023
Eastern Pennsylvania
Something weird happened to my easter egger Lettie today. I was watching her in the nesting boxes, and she laid an egg in front of me. I noticed though, after the egg was out, her vent seemed to be sticking out of her even after, which I found weird. I sort of watched her for a few minutes, and nothing changed. Then, she started pushing really hard again, and her tract came out even more. She was making noises, like she was in pain. She kept doing this multiple times. Finally, she laid a HUGE poop, and all of her parts were sucked back inside of her. she then hopped out of the box and started singing the egg song.

...what was that? was she just constipated? She seems fine now, but I don't know what really happened. Hopefully this doesn't become a normal thing, since it really pained her.

I have witnessed a couple of hens who would have a prolapse when laying an egg, and it would go back in afterward on it’s own. Hopefully, she won’t get pecked if she does that again. Is she getting enough calcium in her diet? Do you give her layer feed, and does she have access to crushed oyster shell? Calcium helps muscle contraction when laying. Without the prolapse there, does her vent look normal?

I have witnessed a couple of hens who would have a prolapse when laying an egg, and it would go back in afterward on it’s own. Hopefully, she won’t get pecked if she does that again. Is she getting enough calcium in her diet? Do you give her layer feed, and does she have access to crushed oyster shell? Calcium helps muscle contraction when laying. Without the prolapse there, does her vent look normal?
she eats layer feed and has a constant oyster shell supply. her vent was normal after that

Back
Top Bottom