Vent questions

AllisontheImp

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 29, 2012
Apex, NC
I was checking on my girls and giving them a trim and clean around the vent last night. There are 17 hens and I was able to work on about 10 of them. I noticed there was variation in the shape and size of their vents. None of them had an extrusion so I feel comfortable saying there were no prolapses.

Some of them had vents that were about the size of a nickel in diameter with a healthy pink color on the fleshy bit inside the vent area. A couple had vents that were much larger. I didn't exactly measure but a good guess would be 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Again the flesh inside was a pretty peachy pink color.

Is there an available reference link to pictures on vents that are currently laying vs. non-laying hens vs. sick hens? Or maybe a book that I can get as a guide?

Thanks for your help.

All of mine have large vents..... I have one that has no feathers to camouflage it and the others peck at it...... I need help with preventing vent peck..... It's pitiful and the victim has become my best friend!

Thanks ladies. I'd still like to find pictorial info. If for no other reason than to be able to notice when things go awry early on.

This is my Sexlink girl, I have to come up with a name for her.... she has become my little follower, but her vent is swollen and red, she has recently spent 2 days in isolation to allow it to heal and they have already pecked her! I gave her a bath and took good care of her and them nasty other girls still mess...... It's normal to have swollen vents, imagine if you had a baby everyday! LOL
is

So is there a place I can learn more about this area? Laying vs non-laying etc.

Can I safely assume that since no one has mentioned any problem other than prolapse there's no other common vent ailment? That the only 'local' ailment is prolapse; a stuck egg will give a more general "hey that chicken is sick" look.

Hmm, still no eggs. My hens are over twenty weeks now. Does anyone have a picture of a healthy vent of a laying and or not laying hen. The vents on my girls are healthy and the size of 50 cent pieces. ew, If you have the pix it would mean I would not have to take my own pix, I find it borderline embarrising. No, more than borderline. I don't believe I could bare it.
hmm.png

Well, pink you say.
D.gif
Hmmm... My girls' are lilly white. I guess I will just... keep... waiting...
old.gif

Thank you for the info. Now I know they are not being removed by a critter or being layed in a mysterious location.

I guess I am lucky? By the time they lay any eggs, with food prices rising ...

the eggs will be of more value.
big_smile.png
Yum!

So i got this question, i got 5wk old chicks for the first time, ive notived when my bantam welsummer is pooping you can see red inside her vent, there is no swelling and when it closes its fine, im just kinda paranoid with all this vent stuff the more i read about it, should i worry about him? He doesnt act any different

Back
Top Bottom