Vent sexing

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Does anyone have videos of how to vent sex, or at least pictures if what to look for and how to do so?

Also when are they too old to vent sex? If I order chicks and they're 2-3 days old when I get them, will they be too old then?

Without a picture I can tell you.... Look at it and if it has a bump on it's butt it's a boy. My boyfriend said I blew air at their butts. Most are pullets. 70 percent of them looked exactly like they can pop out an egg easy. If you watch those educational videos of egg laying. Circle is female for sure. Problem is there are like 40 percent iffy. Some bumps are round. Some are triangle. And other shapes that distort the circle. Like a line. And indent.

If you can just blow air on them, why do people say it's dangerous to do thisnif you're not sure what you're doing?
It is dangerous. For day old chickens. N
Mine were week old. From farm store. The dangerous part is handling them. They might be upside down for too long. Only skilled people should do. I haven't had a chick die from doing that. 32 birds I did this to.

Vent sexing is a procedure of holding the day-old chick in one hand, spreading open the vent, and viewing the copulatory organs to determine sex based on shape. Warning: there are 18 different shapes possible with a two female and two male shapes that will appear as close matches for the opposite sex. Essentially, the view reveals a shape much like a necklace with “beads” of different sizes, largest in the center. The males have a round/globe-like center “bead”; the females have a flat or concave center “bead.” Skilled vent sexers historically have had a 90% success ratio, with some modern reports claiming a success ratio of 95%. In any case, this method of how to tell the sex of baby chicks does work very well, but requires skill and training. Source https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/chickens-101/how-to-tell-the-sex-of-baby-chicks/

Back
Top Bottom