Ventilating the Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NateinFL, Sep 19, 2009.

1. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Hi, will somebody please help me with this quick question, I need to know what day I should open the red vent holes up on my still air incubator, and should I open one or both? I just read the manual and just realized it said one should be opened, doesnt say about the second vent plug. I have had both vent plugs on and it is day 9 of incubation, I hope I didnt suffocate them. There are other small holes in the incubator on the top and bottom. Should I open up second hole when I put them on lockdown? Thanks for the help, its my first time. -Nathan

[​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Is your incubator still air or does it have a fan? It looks like there aren't many eggs in there so you probably haven't used up all of their oxygen, but I would take out at least one plug. If you take both out you might have to make adjustments in your humidity depending on where you live. You're probably fine.

Good luck with your hatch!

4. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Quote:Thanks for the info. I read the Internet posting you have on it and it doesnt give a clear answer about one holes or two.

Quote:Thanks for the well wishes. It does not have a fan on it. I think I'll pull the 2nd plug on day 16 and watch the humidity closer. If anybody can speak from experience, that would be great!

5. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Mine have the plugs out and I have never bothered to plug them.
    Getting good hatches out of both incubators... [​IMG]

6. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Thanks! I'll leave just the one hole open for now, I can feel the air rising out through it, I think thats enough. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by