ventilation and other tips

I do an awning style window that opens out, with hardware cloth attached to the framing, and sandwiched between 1 x 3's. That allows the windows to be open even when it's raining, and the hdw cloth keeps the critters out.

@lazy gardener I'm getting ready to do my windows, and what you have sounds a lot like what I was thinking based on a video that I saw and some reading. Do you by chance have a picture of one of your windows?

You can see my coop in my interview. The "address" is in my signature line. The windows and doors were picked up at my town dump. Every spring, I can find enough good quality windows and doors to build half a dozen coops! I made a "picture frame" out of 1 x 3's to fit the r.o. of the window, I then cut the siding, slapped the frame in place, and attached the windows to the frame with hinges. The hardware cloth is attached from the inside.

I just want to jump in and state the obvious. Ducks are wet. Due to the extra moisture from the ducks, more ventilation will be needed. I would recommend window and/or vents that can be opened and closed. This way over time you can adjust to find what works best for you. Parts of the year may be hotter/colder than others, parts may be more humid. Sometimes the wind my blow from the opposite direction. Vents that can be adjusted will serve you well over time.

Vents like this would be easy to install and can be opened/closed and would prevent air from blowing directly on the birds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006J2VDH...t=&hvlocphy=9028830&hvtargid=pla-350313924911
If I could recommend Grainger for your vents...prices are far better and you can get them in various sizes...

Overhangs over any openings help a lot to keep out rain and snow. One of my upcoming projects is to add overhangs to my run to keep the feeder and roll out nest box dry... and me when I'm collecting eggs.

JT

Back
Top Bottom