Ventilation + cold winters?? And window question

Ah, ok!

Now I just need to figure out the divider wall and I'll be all set. Maybe put a 4' high plywood wall, with chicken wire from there up to the roof? With LF birds, do I need to go all the way up to roof peak, or just to the top of the walls? Building a door makes me nervous, but since it's interior I'm sure I can wing it. lol Won't have to look pretty or be as secure as an outer door at least!

I THINK the hubby can get free 5 gallon buckets from work too, which I can convert into a feeder and some nest boxes.

Chicken wire does a good job of keeping chickens in but not so much at keeping hungry predators out. They can chew through it or tear holes in it. Hardware cloth with a 1/2 or 1/4 inch holes is alot better alternative. Bought some chicken wire to build a small pen for daily outings when mine were small and actually tore/unraveled it with my bare hands when pulling it tight.

Last edited:
Chicken wire does a good job of keeping chickens in but not so much at keeping hungry predators out. They can chew through it or tear holes in it. Hardware cloth with a 1/2 or 1/4 inch holes is alot better alternative. Bought some chicken wire to build a small pen for daily outings when mine were small and actually tore/unraveled it with my bare hands when pulling it tight.

The chicken wire wouldn't be for the run. It would be for the divider wall sectioning the shed into part coop/part storage. The shed should already be critter proof, I just need to keep the chickens out of the storage area.

The chicken wire wouldn't be for the run. It would be for the divider wall sectioning the shed into part coop/part storage. The shed should already be critter proof, I just need to keep the chickens out of the storage area.

I have a divider in a shed like you are planning on doing, I also thought chicken wire would be ok for that (upper half of it-plywood lower half) but then I thought if it was hardware cloth I could leave my door to the shed open on hot days for extra air circulation so thats what I used 1/2 in. hardware cloth and am glad I did.
To make the divider wall (my husband did the work) he put up 2x2's useing sheetrock screws on walls, cieling, and floor like a frame and then screwed the plywood to that.

Quote:
I picked up my windows for free at the local recycling center/transfer station. If they do not have any when you go they may take your name and call you if someone brings some in.

I have no idea what that long skinny thing is. If it is a vent, don’t count on it during the winter. Snow could block it.

Chickens need ventilation in the winter to get rid of the moisture build-up. Don’t worry about the cold. They wear a down coat year round and can handle cold much better than heat. Your danger is frostbite, not them freezing to death. There have been several posts on this forum where people in your climate were having frostbite problems but the problems stopped when they added ventilation.

What I suggest is you avoid is a cool breeze blowing directly in them in the winter. In the summer, a cool breeze feels good. How do you manage that? Have permanent ventilation higher than where they roost. In summer, you can open windows or have other openings below them, but in winter I’d keep the ventilation higher than them.

That sun-looking thing may be some type of ventilation opening, but it is nowhere big enough. I’d suggest leaving the top of the walls open under that overhang on both sides for maybe 6” to 8” and cover that with hardware cloth. You’ll have predators there that can rip chicken wire apart. As long as the roosts are lower than that elevation, they will be fine and that overhang will keep rain and snow out.

If you wish, you can put gable vents on there, especially if that sun looking thing is not a vent. The louvers will help keep the rain and snow out and will really help in the summer. You don’t want the coop to get wet, but if it is well ventilated, a bit of rain or snow won’t hurt. It should dry out pretty quickly, but you might need to rake it or throw corn on the bedding and let the chickens rake it for you.

You’ll need at least one window so you can see to work in there and the chickens can see to go to bed when it gets dark. You’ll find some people on here with strong opinions on how many and where they should go. I‘m not one of them. I’d suggest putting at least one on a typically downwind side for your prevalent winds in the summer so you can open it in the summer when they need extra ventilation. And cover the opening with hardware cloth to stop predators.

You can get all different kinds of windows. You can buy them new, look on Craigslist or find one of those recycle places, or just make them yourself. I like being able to open it in the summer for the ventilation, but that is not absolutely necessary. An easy way to make a window is to frame in the wall area and cover it with hardware cloth. If you want to be able close it in winter, get a piece of Plexiglas and figure out a way to mount it, either making it removable or hinged where you can lock it open or closed. If you hinge it at the top, you can lock it open and it will help shed rain.

That area under the overhang will let in some light if you elect to do that, but I’d have at least one more window to let in light. More than one is great.

Just my longwinded opinion. Hope you get something helpful out of it. Good luck!!!

So if I understand correctly (I am just building my first coop FINALLY!) I should only have the very top vents open and leave the bottom ones closed in winter? I will be having a 5"x24" long slider vent on one side at the top and was going to put another on the bottom of the opposite wall.

I have an all metal shed, just a door. Going to install at least one window and a small vent towards the peak in the rear. I will add more windows as long as the integrity of the shed is not disrupted by placing the first window... The shed is probably twenty+ years old!

I have 11 chickens and their coop where they roost for the nite is only 4x5x5.

After reading what you wrote, I am worried, the coop is inside a 20x14 chainlink run which is 8ft high but as soon as my boys build an enclosed shed which was going to be 8x12, the coop was going to be put in there because of snow and icy winds....

Any ideas and info would be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom