ventilation--comments/advice

WIchickMama

Free Ranging
Aug 15, 2021
Western WI
Looking for advice with the upcoming winter and since everyone here is amazing at giving advice I thought I would post. We have a 6x6 coop that is 8 feet high. Currently we have the ceiling open and then vented to the side (covered with overhang and hardware cloth). DH thinks we need to insulate half the roof and cover with plastic for the winter, I am leaning towards no to keep as much ventilation. Do I keep it open? Do I cover/insulate some and see how it goes? I just wouldn't want any condensation and then dripping down on the ladies. We do have a window on the south side but that will be closed up for winter and then we have a 2x2 pop up door that will be open during the day but closed up at night.

PS I will get pictures here shortly, but wanted to get it posted as we are headed to the farm store :)

edited--just remeasured the coop is 6x6

Entire roof is open and outside over hang is 6 inches by the 6 ft.

Attachments

• 20211007_093334.jpg
    20211007_093334.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211007_093330.jpg
    20211007_093330.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211007_093323.jpg
    20211007_093323.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
For 8 birds, you want to have at least 8 sf of open (but covered with HC for critter proofing) ventilation, all the time. It looks like you have open soffits... yes? That may be enough right there. It's all so excellent ventilation, because wind won't blow directly in.

You do not need to insulate the ceiling. Leave it the way it is.

Or someone else who knows more may have better ideas! :)

Generally you want as much ventilation as you can get without causing drafts on roosted birds.

For 8 birds, you want to have at least 8 sf of open (but covered with HC for critter proofing) ventilation, all the time. It looks like you have open soffits... yes? That may be enough right there. It's all so excellent ventilation, because wind won't blow directly in.

You've already gotten excellent advice. Keep the chickens dry and out of the wind and they'll keep themselves warm. Excellent ventilation is key to keeping them dry because they generate a lot of moisture from their breath and their poop.

As a general rule, the only thing that insulation does is provide rodents with a cozy home. :( (The exception being when it's needed to prevent condensation on the underside of a metal roof in some climates -- but your wood roof sheathing already does that).

Here are some articles for you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

You do not need to insulate the ceiling. Leave it the way it is.

Or someone else who knows more may have better ideas! :)
yes open soffits the whole 36 sq feet. plus then we have the 2.5 ft on the exterior of the coop covered in HC and the pop up door of 4 ft. So I was hoping enough with the open ceiling.

thanks for the articles @3KillerBs I will read them today!

appreciate the feedback :)

Those are some monster rafters for a 6' span!
If the front and back load bearing walls both have open soffits you have 5.27 sq ft there.
Can you post a picture of the outside of the coop showing the general shape and roof overhang?
I would be inclined to install gable vents up high to increase ventilation.
The OSB roof deck completely eliminates the risk of condensation from the metal roof. You do not need insulation.

Back
Top Bottom