Ventilation concerns

I trying not to do a gable vent be I already put shingles on the those to sides. Needless to say the peaks were the biggest challenge of them. I could open it up more under the ridge cap of the roof.

The windows I might put a latch on so that I can get a tight seal. I need to get weather stripping for them first and also caulk the trim if it ever gets above 40 without rain. The run is not done yet. I’m probably going to cover it with the same metal roofing as the coop. I need to make it bigger too but will only cover the current portion. We plan on putting some raised beds around it for flowers and to block it some from he elements. Right now I’m just putting some of the used bedding from inside the coop in it bc the girls enjoy digging around in it and dust bathing. That will not be added to until spring because I trying the deep liter method inside to coop so it hasn’t been emptied since beginning of September. I’m also going to get leaves to put in the run I just need to get them

Just some thoughts....

I understand you not wanting to mess with the gable shingles, but.....
...something like this vent cover might work great.
Course you'd need a 6" hole saw, which costs twice as much as the vent cover:hmm

I wouldn't worry about weather stripping and/or caulking, just get them closed tightly...
...a little air coming in around the windows shouldn't be a concern.

Ridge cap vents can get covered with snow, do you get that much snow?
Is the roof open under the entire length of the ridge cover.....or just this one place?
upload_2018-12-3_7-7-46.png

No it is just open in this one section. I could open the whole length. It would be about 6’. There is almost a half inch gape between the metal roof and the ridge cap due to the rivets in the metal. We typically don’t get a lot of snow. About Every 5 years or so we will get buried under a foot but that’s very rare for the most part. So I don’t think snow will be an issue.

I definitely wish I would have opened up the whole length from the get go. Things to remember for next time right.

These are my first chickens so any New additions in the future will definitely have smaller combed breeds.

The last several nights I has dropped to the 20s. No frost on the inside of the windows or the bottom side of the ridge cap! I had not noticed any before hand but also wasn’t paying attention to it either

Back
Top Bottom