Ventilation for small coop

Mate, we bought one too.
20210902_114332.jpg

Thought we were gonna put 4 chooks in it. Like, Sussex sized chooks, not bantam chicks or anything. Embarassment.:th

Mate, we bought one too.
Zach
Confession: I bought the small coop, first. The misleading ad said it would hold up to 6 chickens. After assembling it, and seeing it's ridiculous size, I set it aside as a convalescent coop. I searched on YouTube for larger, pre-fab coops, and saw a couple videos on the 2nd coop I ultimately purchased, with the connected run. (The ad said up to 12 chickens - but, I knew better, this time).
My husband has been working away from home, all summer. I have had him home just long enough to assemble what I came up with. I am not handy with carpentry. I didn't feel I could build my own coop. I am doing the best I can, modifying this pre-fab coop to make my chickens comfortable and safe. I will admit that it has taken a LOT of modification and was a poor value for the money. This is my maiden voyage with chickens. I'm sure I'll make many mistakes along the way. That I am here, proves that I'm doing my best, trying to learn. I guess that if I'm going to stick my neck out with questions, I can expect some criticism

Confession: I bought the small coop, first. The misleading ad said it would hold up to 6 chickens. After assembling it, and seeing it's ridiculous size, I set it aside as a convalescent coop. I searched on YouTube for larger, pre-fab coops, and saw a couple videos on the 2nd coop I ultimately purchased, with the connected run. (The ad said up to 12 chickens - but, I knew better, this time).
My husband has been working away from home, all summer. I have had him home just long enough to assemble what I came up with. I am not handy with carpentry. I didn't feel I could build my own coop. I am doing the best I can, modifying this pre-fab coop to make my chickens comfortable and safe. I will admit that it has taken a LOT of modification and was a poor value for the money. This is my maiden voyage with chickens. I'm sure I'll make many mistakes along the way. That I am here, proves that I'm doing my best, trying to learn. I guess that if I'm going to stick my neck out with questions, I can expect some criticism
You are definitely not the only one who has ever bought a shoebox coop when starting out. The claims from the manufacturer on those things are ridiculous.

I'm glad that you came here looking for advice! Many people refuse to believe they are too small.

This is my maiden voyage with chickens. I'm sure I'll make many mistakes along the way. That I am here, proves that I'm doing my best, trying to learn. I guess that if I'm going to stick my neck out with questions, I can expect some criticism
But keep asking, ok? The pool of knowledge here is wide and deep!

We all goofed along the way with our first chickens.

I'm glad that you came here looking for advice!
Me too. :hugs

I guess that if I'm going to stick my neck out with questions, I can expect some criticism

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it as criticism, just a joke. From what I've read on here, at least 20% of us bought one of these for our first coop. I'm too embarassed to tell what I paid for mine, but people on this forum have built serious, real coops for less money.
Left to my own devices, I could never have done the mods you made to make yours livable. I'm just lucky my husband has the skills, tools, time and part-time work at a hardware store (great staff discounts, and even free stuff sometimes), that meant he could build me a real one.
And what you've done to make your run comfortable and engaging for your chickens is just wow. Serious respect.:bow

I am doing the best I can,
:hugsI have this to say,,,,,,,:hugs
We all have to start somewhere, I have suggested the prefab coops to peeps that are not sure if they want to keep chickens in the first try. I know they are over-rated for number of chickens claimed. They will not last very long. Not very predator proof. But the main reason I do suggest them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they need somewhere to start, and see if chickens are for them.
In short time, the peeps know to upgrade to something more suitable to their needs.,,,,,,,,,,,,OR,,,,,,,,,,,,,, give chickens up.:old:idunno
The low monetary investment is part of that lesson. Small coop still has other uses inside run along/next to the newer/more IDEAL CHICKEN HOUSING.
There are many posts with great ideas on great coops. I :bow applaud them, but I am also a realist. Not everyone is in position to have such chicken housing,,,,, especially in the beginning venture.
Keep up the good work..:highfive:

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it as criticism, just a joke. From what I've read on here, at least 20% of us bought one of these for our first coop. I'm too embarassed to tell what I paid for mine, but people on this forum have built serious, real coops for less money.
Left to my own devices, I could never have done the mods you made to make yours livable. I'm just lucky my husband has the skills, tools, time and part-time work at a hardware store (great staff discounts, and even free stuff sometimes), that meant he could build me a real one.
And what you've done to make your run comfortable and engaging for your chickens is just wow. Serious respect.:bow
Oh, it's ok! And thank you.. ♡ My DH has the talent, but hasn't had the time. I'm definitely not done making modifications. Next time DH is home, he'll have to help me. Need to get this wrapped up before winter

Back
Top Bottom