Ventilation for this coop

Ok i glanced through the thread. Sounds like you got the soffit boards out. Nice work. that will be your air intake. Now you really need a ridge vent to work as your exhaust. Metal roofs are great BUT the inside temp needs to be the same as outside temp or you will get condensation. The ridge vent will allow the air movement to occur. Can you get close up pictures of the ridge vent inside and out? If possible use a closed water system as your waterer.

I went ahead and opened up the gables on both sides the other day. It got into the negatives again this weekend and now most of my hens are showing signs of frostbite. Before I opened the gables they weren’t. It was in the negatives last weekend and they were fine. I don’t smell ammonia when I walk into the coop and don’t see frost on the roof. I’m using horse pellets where the droppings accumulate most and turning the bedding. What the heck? I feel like opening the gable made the coop worse. Ventilation is probably great but now it’s really freaking cold in there.
97184BCC-0D40-43B7-8541-C4F46B5E851C.jpeg

It got into the negatives again this weekend and now most of my hens are showing signs of frostbite. Before I opened the gables they weren’t.
But were the temps that low?
IME, frostbite is almost impossible to avoid in certain temps,
no matter how good coop ventilation is.

If that open gable is allowing strong drafts on the roost area, it needs to be buffered/baffled.

Humidity matters.

If the relative humidity was low last weekend and high this weekend there's nothing one can do about that.

How much below zero did it get?
Only -9
But were the temps that low?
IME, frostbite is almost impossible to avoid in certain temps,
no matter how good coop ventilation is.

If that open gable is allowing strong drafts on the roost area, it needs to be buffered/baffled.
I think that’s exactly what is happening. How do you suggest I close it off? Just put the wood I took out back?

Only -9

I think that’s exactly what is happening. How do you suggest I close it off? Just put the wood I took out back?

Can you look up the relative humidity for last weekend and this weekend?

Can you post a couple pics of the suspected frostbitten birds?

A baffle....It helps direct air movement. In your case it will direct air upward and above the sleeping birds. It also keeps wind driven snow/rain out.

R (2).jpeg

Maybe just tack a piece of cardboard over the bottom half of it.

You can use furnace filters over the gable vents to stop the drafts while still letting air through.
Or This^^^

I am in Northern New Jersey and getting similarly crazy low temperatures.
My coop has open gable ends (covered in hardware cloth). They are high up but in a blizzard I was getting fine snow blown in on the roosts so I created baffles.
I am really happy with mine though it is more hassle than you may want to do.
Mine are hinged at the bottom of the triangle and in the open position rest on the first horizontal rafter tie at about a 45 degree angle. With a pole I can push them up and they latch closed leaving only the very top triangle open.

I am in Northern New Jersey and getting similarly crazy low temperatures.
My coop has open gable ends (covered in hardware cloth). They are high up but in a blizzard I was getting fine snow blown in on the roosts so I created baffles.
I am really happy with mine though it is more hassle than you may want to do.
Mine are hinged at the bottom of the triangle and in the open position rest on the first horizontal rafter tie at about a 45 degree angle. With a pole I can push them up and they latch closed leaving only the very top triangle open.

Photos?

Maybe write an article on them that people could reference?

Back
Top Bottom