Ventilation is the key not humidity!

Nice work, Michigan! I have a similar sized 'bator and it has ~8 holes on the back side. Some toward the bottom for cool air to flow in, some near the top for heat to flow out.

I would want at least one upper hole to encourage ventilation, right now yours traps the hot air at the top (unless you have a fan blowing it back down somehow, the hot air will stay up there).

batorfront.jpg

I have a turner now, but this shows the inside.

batoropen.jpg

That's awesome, BeardedChick!

I actually do have a fan in there. I posted the lengthy process involved in making it, with some pics of various parts of the finished incubator here .

I will go make a hole at the top for better circulation.
smile.png

MichiganWoods and Beardedchick, beautiful incubators! And gives me a heck of an idea for one, myself....

MW, I'd drill a couple or 3 holes in the top corners. I'm going to drill vent holes just slightly smaller than foam earplugs, then if I overdo it and need to plug any, it'll be easy to do. And with a plug that will stay put. Are those dresser drawers?

BC, is that a sewing machine cabinet? I just happen to have one of those....

Nice job, both of you!

Last edited:
I'm gonna see if I can make one out of this old sewing machine cabinet, if my DH will let me. (the sewing machine was his mom's) Or start scouting the local thrift shops until I find something suitable.

Last edited:
dancingbear, these were two leftover drawers I had from a "permanent" desk I removed from my kitchen. I stripped off all of the parts I could from them (face plates, knobs, screws etc.), but then realized they had stapled the basic structure of the drawer together and so I couldn't salvage the wood. I let them sit for a week or two while I figured out what I could do with them. I had about 5 drawers, but these two were identical in size.

BeardedChick is right, the foam ear plugs are a great idea! I'll add the extra holes to the top when everyone is awake.

dancingbear, a sewing machine cabinet bator sounds interesting. I'll be curious to see yours when it's done!

P.S. Forgot to say thanks for your compliment, BeardedChick.
smile.png
Thanks! And thanks to you too, dancingbear!
smile.png

(This is my first post? Database problems?
pop.gif
)

Last edited:
MW, I followed that link you posted after I posted last, you did a nice job. I like the way you did the shelves with the plastic gutter guard. I hate working with hardware cloth. I was thinking of trying to find something else, but couldn't think of what. That was a great idea.

dancingbear, I'd been looking into an alternative for the hardware cloth for a while. Then I saw that in my closet. I hope you find it as useful as I did during your construction!

Ya... I was trying to have a decent post number for the day.
wink.png

Quote:
Something else you might consider to replace the hardware cloth is the plastic grill that goes over flourescent light fixtures. The kind that I'm talking about has square grids about 1/4"-3/8" square and about a 1/2" thick....they're rigid and white in color. I've seen them in office buildings, churchs, etc., and I've seen replacement grills in hardware stores.

Being as a single panel of this grid material would be enough for several incubators, the ideal thing would be to find a remodeling job going on where they're getting rid of these types of light fixtures.

FWIW
Ed

Back
Top Bottom