Ventilation on gable gone badly

It finally quit raining enough I could nab pictures. Nothing too special. I'll put in some louvers as suggested.

20180515_145732.jpg

20180515_145659.jpg

BTW, Yes, I will have more ventilation when I'm done. I'm still building.

I have two similar vents on mine. I used the 8x8 inch version of this product because that is what would fit in my space above the door. The linked one is 12x12 which should fit yours and would be a simple matter of removing the screen and placing this one in its place. These are made of a durable plastic. Mine was simple to install and in your case you should be able to just screw it to the siding you have there.

This pic is of my other gable end where I did a 12x18. I framed mine in ahead of time which is why you see the extra framing/support for it. The 12x18 is a metal one I bought from HD or Lowes, I can't recall.

IMG_2917.jpg

@Backyard Bruce is right on the money! I put one on mine as well, and it really is just as easy as he describes. I used this one from Lowes - bought two pieces as they just snap together to make 8 feet. Lay it across your ridge, and then nail it down. I then chose to cover mine with ridge cap shingles. The only thing I would add to what @Backyard Bruce said was that in my case, I needed longer roofing nails than the standard 1 1/4" that I was using for my shingles. So, I had to swing in to the store real quick and pick up some 2 1/2" roofing nails, but other than that, it was actually a lot of fun to install. I've seen lots of videos of people retrofitting them, so you haven't missed the boat on this modification if you decide to do it and have your plywood already installed. It was my first and only one that I have ever installed, and it took maybe 20 minutes to do - most of that being pounding the actual nails. We're here to share tips and answer questions, so if you want to do it, but need more info, just ask!

IMG_3003.jpg

Oh, yours looks much nicer. I'm so not a carpenter!

Thanks for the kind words! I did take wood working classes in high school, and that has helped my confidence greatly to tackle something like building my first coop. However, I have learned a ton from this site. Pretty much all the ideas I have been incorporating into my build have come from the advice/suggestions/learning from others who built theirs before me.

Yours looks very well done, too. They will always be a bit of a work in progress as we find things to add or adjust - you won't be able to predict everything the very first time. You look to have a very solid base going there, and I'd think any updates that you might want to make will have a solid foundation to work with.

Back
Top Bottom