Ventilation on gable gone badly

Creteloc

Songster
5 Years
Sep 29, 2017
Northern Utah
I had this genius idea while building my 8x8 shed / chicken coop to cut squares in the gables on both ends for ventilation. GREEEAT idea! Until it rained all weekend and flooded the shed. Yeah, so I didn't think that through.

So basically they are about 1 x 1 ft squares covered in hardware cloth and framed with screwed in wooden frames to hold on the hardware cloth... and apparently open to the elements heh. These suckers are about 7 feet high on the front and back of the shed.

What do I do now? Any ideas?

Oh, there aren't any chickens inside yet because I'm not done building the shed, but those holes are permanent.

Instead of a window, it's a HC covered square with a matching one on the other end.

Capture.JPG

I had this genius idea while building my 8x8 shed / chicken coop to cut squares in the gables on both ends for ventilation. GREEEAT idea! Until it rained all weekend and flooded the shed. Yeah, so I didn't think that through.

So basically they are about 1 x 1 ft squares covered in hardware cloth and framed with screwed in wooden frames to hold on the hardware cloth... and apparently open to the elements heh. These suckers are about 7 feet high on the front and back of the shed.

What do I do now? Any ideas?

Oh, there aren't any chickens inside yet because I'm not done building the shed, but those holes are permanent.

Instead of a window, it's a HC covered square with a matching one on the other end.

View attachment 1387574

Perhaps these would work? You mention that your openings are 1 ft x 1 ft. It might not be too hard to retrofit these in. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Constru...uare-Gable-Vent-in-Brown-GLFC1212BR/202221343

I use a 12"x18" sized one on one end of my 8x8 coop, and it has worked out great. Be sure to add overhangs as others have suggested if you still can. I just thought these might be easy replacements to address the cut-outs you already have, and then the overhangs would double up the protection.

Back
Top Bottom