Ventilation question

melroseladi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Melrose, Florida
I was given a large igloo dog house today. It has ventilation on the roof as well as the bottom and I am planning on using hardware cloth on a wood frame for the door. I live in Florida so heat is more of a concern than the cold. The igloo will be in the shade and will house 2 silkies. They will only be in it to roost at night. Will that be sufficient ventilation for them? If not suggestions on what to do.

Also, this igloo was left out in the elements for years without ever being cleaned. I have scrubbed it with everything I can think of and it's still showing the discoloring in spots. Any suggestions? Can I paint it? I really don't like it being white, not camouflaged enough for me.

since I live in a non chicken friendly HOA, I would leave its appearance and place dog dishes and a chew toy near it...

Planning on trying my hand again for some covert coop action.

Make the ventilation hole on the ceiling as big as you can get away with. They say one square foot of ventilation per bird is usually enough, which would include any holes in the bottom. But I think a 6 inch by 6 inch hole on the roof should be adequate for 2 silkies.

Oh and make sure your hardware cloth door is extremely critter proof. Those night time marauders have a lot of time on their hands and will work at something for hours till they get it open. They can be incredibly strong. So protect your babies.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom