Ventilation questions- new vents in --nothing's changed...Help?

Quote:
This is totally logical. You're talking about the humidity inside your coop, but what's the humidity been OUTSIDE the coop on these days??? Of course it had to be 100 on the rainy days...lol. I'm betting it was as humid outside as inside. No amount of ventilation is going to make your humidity inside less than outside unless your coop has all the conveniences of a well built human home. To me, your ventilation looks good. And as was mentioned, this winter the humidity will drop. Now, I do give my dropping boards a quick scraping daily to get rid of poo/humidity; I know many folks like the pits/trays, but I just think the dropping boards are so much quicker to clean off. Since your area (or this time of year) is affecting your humidity levels, you may want to opt for them to help???

Quote:
There is one thing that frequently DOES make indoor humidity less than outside... and that is having the coop be a bit warmer indoors than out.

I am *not* talking about heating it (which can go either way -- in some cases, heat without adequate sanitation can just drive moisture out of the poo/bedding and cause *more* of a humidity problem). I am just talking about how, if the coop is decent-sized and sensibly designed/managed, and has adequate ventilation open but no more than is actually necessary, it is typical for indoor coop temperatures to run somewhat higher than outdoor temps.

In this (common!) circumstance, it can be 100% humidity (raining) outdoors and yet only like 80% indoors, or 80% outdoors and 65% indoors, or whatever.

I would certainly agree though that there are times when your ability to get coop humidity down is genuinely limited by Mother Nature. THis is usually only a problem (frostbite-wise) when it happens right around, or just below, the freezing point.

Pat

I wonder if all those small vents are really giving you much "bang" for the ventilation buck as a single larger vent would do? I have 9 bantams in a slightly larger coop than you have, but my winter vent is a single rectangle, 8 square feet total, up at the top of the front wall of the coop. I have a flap that covers it awning style to block wind from blowing into the coop.

So far, so good. I did notice some condensation this morning, but it was on the outside of the metal coop door. The inside of the coop is dry as a bone.

With any non forced ventilation you only vent through obvious natural movements- meaning hot air rises and cold air falls. The higher the Delta T (Difference in temps) the faster your airflow. If you are bringing in cold air to the warm coop you will have natural airflow but only to the extent that your vents will allow through-(CFM) If they are undersized you will have rising hot air start to "bank down" and mixing with your cold and you will get condensation. Your best solution is increase vents, I'd suggest a ridge vent in the roof to get the hot air trapped above your highest vents now or you could add an exhaust fan on a thermostat to increase the ability of your existing vents. But I think you will need one or the other.

I'm from Meadville Pa and know that humidity can very heavy year round. You will experience high humidity when it rains The dog days of August are the worst. Have you considered a vent cap on the roof to help with the peak of the coop? I currently live in Redmond Oregon and the only humidity we receive happens in the winter / fall. Don't place vents near the floor because they can cause drafts.

Thanks to everyone, and thanks a lot for the articulate & lengthy input, Pat. I do indeed have a correctly calibrated hygrometer. I live in a damp valley in a damp climate (right, Pastor Mike?) , and have too many chooks.

I will rehome 3 of the least sweet hens, I will pick up droppings daily, and I do open windows wide every morning, if it's not raining.
Problem with a dropping board, btw, is that half of my flock is silkies, cochins, & non-roosting (!?!) Polish, who sleep & poop in piles on the floor. So I have to bend & rake & pick with gloves, anyway. My droppings tray protects my daughter from getting smeared when she goes to pet the flying birds on their roost every morning. It looks nice for impromptu neighbor visits, as well. It takes 2 minutes longer to clean, though.

My walls & all visible wood surfaces are stained & polyurethaned, yes, thanks. I will run an exhaust fan at one vent, also. That has to make a difference.

I hesitate to try to install a ridge vent because we have a metal roof. Thanks for the input on it, though, and we'll look into it & tackle it next spring, along with permanent electrical wiring.

Back
Top Bottom