Ventilation Suggestions

The poop tray was out, it’s usually closed and they have a ramp to get up and down. I’ve built a trap door with a pulley system to lock at night.
You could replace the poop tray with hardware cloth so you have ventilation below and above the birds. Also I'm definitely on team, those top roosts are too dang high. Have you named your chickens yet? Do you have any drawings of your dream coop?

If you've got the skills to raise the roof go for it! I just mentioned replacing the poop board because of the pictures where it was removed. It looked like plenty of ventilation. And I don't think it would be drafty without a weird bottom to top cross breeze.

Those names are adorable. And don't give up! Someday material prices will drop back down lol :fl

I'm not sure I understand the layout of this coop. Is the bottom of the closed section open to the run below? Without a floor?

Can you take photos from a little further back and from different angles so we can get a more 3-dimensional idea of what you're working with?
The poop tray was out, it’s usually closed and they have a ramp to get up and down. I’ve built a trap door with a pulley system to lock at night.

You could replace the poop tray with hardware cloth so you have ventilation below and above the birds. Also I'm definitely on team, those top roosts are too dang high. Have you named your chickens yet? Do you have any drawings of your dream coop?
Wouldn’t a hardware cloth poop tray be too drafts under their roost bars? I’m going to go with @BDutch ’s idea to raise the roof 2”. If I do that, plus lower the high roost bars a couple inches, they’ll have plenty of room to fly up.

the EE’s are Easter and Cluck. The barnevelders are Poppy and Maud.
After days drawing up the coop blueprints, I threw them out once I priced the materials.

The two windows on opposite sides don’t seem to be too small. If you can open them both.
What’s important: how many chickens? Are they normal sized?

One thing to improve might be to lower the roost a bit so the air flow is higher as the chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom