Quick easy sloped roof on 60”x50” run

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
I thought we were done with making the coop but alas the rain in nj told me otherwise. The flat top of the prefab run is not cutting it. Water is puddling on the tarp . Getting the water off is so messy . The brown tarp over the extended run is doing great bc it’s over a sloped roof. What’s an efficient way to add a roof to the prefab area which is 60” X 50”. I was going to ask dh to cut a plywood in 1/2… but then what will it attach to if it’s extended over the run? How do I attach the plywood at the top center?
Someone suggested pvc hoop but I heard it’s not going to last through the sun; it will get brittle and snap. Also will tarp over pvc be sufficient for snow?

Any better ideas? Bonus if it’s super cost efficient . Thanks!

Why not just attach one end of a tarp to the wall of the coop, raised a bit, then stretched tight and attached to the end of the prefab run? No hoop needed, no plywood. It'll last a few years.

I wrapped one end of the tarp around a 1" x 2" board, stapled it in place, then screwed through tarp and board to attach it to the side of my coop. Stretched tight at a slope, and secured on the downward side with wire through the grommets.

I just wonder about that automatic door device - is it okay exposed to the weather, or will you need to attach the tarp above it? That'd work fine, too.

You need some sort of construction. How high is the run In question? Can you upload a photo?

Can you put 2 large poles or 2x4”’s about 3 ft deep in the ground? If thats not possible you need to make 2 A-frames or attach poles of different lengths on the run frame.

Make the top of the poles a bit higher than the run. Make a connection on top with 2x4” ‘s and put the tarp over it.

@BDutch, I believe she's talking about this setup; I found the photo from one of her earlier postings:
1694404873242.png

Thanks @BarnyardChaos
The easiest thing to do is to leave the wooden run open as it is and put the tarp over the end of the metal run.
I did do this, but Ideally i'd like one over the other one too...esp since I don't want snow to come through in winter. I want them to come out and enjoy the outdoors in winter.

Attachments

• IMG_5579.jpeg
    IMG_5579.jpeg
    837.2 KB · Views: 20
Why not just attach one end of a tarp to the wall of the coop, raised a bit, then stretched tight and attached to the end of the prefab run? No hoop needed, no plywood. It'll last a few years.

I wrapped one end of the tarp around a 1" x 2" board, stapled it in place, then screwed through tarp and board to attach it to the side of my coop. Stretched tight at a slope, and secured on the downward side with wire through the grommets.

I just wonder about that automatic door device - is it okay exposed to the weather, or will you need to attach the tarp above it? That'd work fine, too.
Wow that would work...but would it collapse with snow over it? Did you add any frame beneath it?

Wow that would work...but would it collapse with snow over it? Did you add any frame beneath it?
The area I had to cover was 7' x 7', so yes, I added a support across the center. Just placed two upright 2x4's on either side (dug into the ground about 12"), then attached another horizontal board between them to support the tarp - still maintaining a good slope. Mind you, one secret to this working is to pull it TIGHT so that it doesn't flap or billow in high winds. In heavy snow, I expect to have to sweep the weight off of it - but here in Missouri, that would only be 2-3 times all winter.

It occurs to me that with your setup, you could run a center support angled downward lengthwise - from the peak of your coop (or lower, from just above that control box) to the outer edge of that enclosure - depending on the size of your tarp and how you'd cut it to fit. Alternatively, raise the outer edge of the tarp up to the same height. Place two 2x4's (or sch.40 PVC) in a teepee style at the outer edge of the enclosure, secured together at the top. You could bury them in the ground, or just stick the bottom ends into a couple of concrete blocks. Then run a 2x4 (or PVC) horizontally from that peak to attach to the peak or wall of your coop - effectively making a "peaked" arrangement for the tarp, just like it is on the extension.

Use schedule 40 PVC and it'll last for years.

Last edited:
x2 PVC wouldn't be a good material for that. PVC gets brittle if left unpainted, but to me a worse trait is that it warps/sags quite a bit once it gets warmed up in the sun.

If this was my situation I'd just make a simple pitched frame out of some 2x2s or even some pallet lumber, either gable-type with center ridge, or a more simple shed/skillion roof, and add it on top of what's there. To support the tarp between the new rafters, maybe transfer the HC off the original run structure to add back onto the new frame and fill in the remainder with a small roll of HC

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom