Ventilation, where to put it?

Missyk0903

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
New York State North Country
Can someone help me or point me in the right direction on how to properly vent this 10 x 14 shed. There is a window on the left side of the shed which will connect to the run and the double doors are on the end near my arrow. I read that you need 1 sqft of vent for each chicken, I have 12 but I am unsure where to put them and what to use. I am way up in Northern New York state where our winters are long and cold, it was 23 this morning. We get an average of 140 inches snow and it can get as low as 35 below zero without the windchill. Any help or suggestions would be great appreciated

Attachments

• COOP.jpg
    COOP.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 18
If the soffits can be opened up that would be the most ideal place for ventilation as it stays climate protected.

If you can get more close up shots of the shed from the different sides, as well as inside, that would help folks take a look at what you have to work with.

at one moment I neede to quickly add ventilation (something I can close if needed) to my coop. One of the issues, the chicken were in already and the run was not ready.
So I did this:
20230405_123609.jpg

at one moment I neede to quickly add ventilation (something I can close if needed) to my coop. One of the issues, the chicken were in already and the run was not ready.
Probably a hassle to do so after the fact, but cutting through the wood boards instead of doing the circles would yield you about 3x (or more) ventilation.

For the time being, better than nothing of course. But you do need to plan out where to get more vents up high, because in winter it's crucial to let ammonia and moisture escape, or you can get frostbite as low as around freezing.

Back
Top Bottom