Ventilation?

Second: Makes sure it's an exhaust fan intended for barn/poultry use. Every attic fan I researched had "not for use in poultry application" or some related wording- because the dust will choke most of those fans and create a fire danger or just kill it early in its life.
Ditto Dat!^^^Great post!

Thank you to all of you! I have decided against a coop as m6 husbands Respirologist said chicken dander was the worst thing for his lungs lol If the 5 dogs and 5 cats havent killed him yet the chickens will. Got to compromise in life I guess. Gonna get him to make me a raised garden bed. He didnt want to do that either but like I said....gotta compromise lol Thanks to all and Adios....

Welcome! My hubby and I just built our coop and he added a fan like you speak of for the hot summer days. I think it's going to work great!

Howdy neighbor - we're over in Wilsonville. These last two or three summers in particular have been just brutal! I lost a hen overnight 2 summers ago despite pointing house fans at them and checking in all night. It was horrible. While I was trying to figure out what to do, I had this nightly evacuation to the basement bathroom so those most affected by those awful nights could truly cool down and rest. Adding that poultry exhaust fan made a gigantic difference- instead of bouncing the hot air around the walls it's like being in an ocean breeze. =)

Howdy neighbor - we're over in Wilsonville. These last two or three summers in particular have been just brutal! I lost a hen overnight 2 summers ago despite pointing house fans at them and checking in all night. It was horrible. While I was trying to figure out what to do, I had this nightly evacuation to the basement bathroom so those most affected by those awful nights could truly cool down and rest. Adding that poultry exhaust fan made a gigantic difference- instead of bouncing the hot air around the walls it's like being in an ocean breeze. =)

Yes, those hot nights are miserable and I worry about the chicks dying from heat exhaustion. I have plans for frozen water bottles and ice buckets inside the coop. I didn't know the fan needed to be graded specifically for poultry. I might have to do some more research on this, but it's already installed for now.

Nice to have a local chicken friend! Good to meet you!

Yes, those hot nights are miserable and I worry about the chicks dying from heat exhaustion. I have plans for frozen water bottles and ice buckets inside the coop. I didn't know the fan needed to be graded specifically for poultry. I might have to do some more research on this, but it's already installed for now.

Nice to have a local chicken friend! Good to meet you!

You too! Yes- keep a close eye for dust, and a nose for a motor in trouble. It might also be worth looking at the manufacturer instructions for the fan you've installed - my first thought was an attic fan after I lost my hen, but they all had warnings against it. I think in desperation I googled "chicken fan" and finally found the poultry exhaust fans. The J&D fans exhaust fans sold at Valley Vet for barn and poultry use have sealed motors and a very easy to clean design. When I was running just the normal house fans they tended to overheat and choke on the dust. (and just bounced hot air off the hot walls despite roof vents, a raised roof style that lets air through etc) I still blow the one surviving fan into the nest box areas on the worst days- and for outside in the afternoons, I got the fan that comes with a mister that you can put on top of a 5 gallon bucket- it sucks the water from the bucket and you just point it at their favorite shaded spot. Those run on an 18 volt rechargeable battery (like a cordless drill battery).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arctic-...-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-205744083-_-N

You too! Yes- keep a close eye for dust, and a nose for a motor in trouble. It might also be worth looking at the manufacturer instructions for the fan you've installed - my first thought was an attic fan after I lost my hen, but they all had warnings against it. I think in desperation I googled "chicken fan" and finally found the poultry exhaust fans. The J&D fans exhaust fans sold at Valley Vet for barn and poultry use have sealed motors and a very easy to clean design. When I was running just the normal house fans they tended to overheat and choke on the dust. (and just bounced hot air off the hot walls despite roof vents, a raised roof style that lets air through etc) I still blow the one surviving fan into the nest box areas on the worst days- and for outside in the afternoons, I got the fan that comes with a mister that you can put on top of a 5 gallon bucket- it sucks the water from the bucket and you just point it at their favorite shaded spot. Those run on an 18 volt rechargeable battery (like a cordless drill battery).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arctic-...-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-205744083-_-N

My hubby works construction, so the fan is one they demo'ed and were going to throw away. I have no idea if it's graded for poultry (but I doubt it) :confused: We will keep a watchful eye/nose on it.

That mister thing sounds awesome!

My hubby works construction, so the fan is one they demo'ed and were going to throw away. I have no idea if it's graded for poultry (but I doubt it) :confused: We will keep a watchful eye/nose on it.

That mister thing sounds awesome!

Nice! That's the way to get supplies!! Given that it's an attic fan it probably isn't- but if the motor is sealed (so all the dust from the chickens can't get in there) it might do a good job. =) Sounds dumb to be talking about hot summer weather with pouring down rain … but it will be here sooner than we'd like!

Nice! That's the way to get supplies!! Given that it's an attic fan it probably isn't- but if the motor is sealed (so all the dust from the chickens can't get in there) it might do a good job. =) Sounds dumb to be talking about hot summer weather with pouring down rain … but it will be here sooner than we'd like!

I helped him install the fan and the motor is on the outside of the fan casing, which we sealed into the wall, so I think we're ok!

I just can't wait for the SUN to come out again! We are building our chicken run right now and digging holes when they immediately fill with water is the WORST.

I helped him install the fan and the motor is on the outside of the fan casing, which we sealed into the wall, so I think we're ok!
If the fan is moving dust, as in exhausting the coop, the motor will get dusty.
You could always put fan in 'backwards' or wire it backwards(if possible),
and blow air into the coop, pushing all dust out other vents/windows.
Less effective for cooling but safer in terms of fan fire.

Back
Top Bottom