Ventilation

joshram

Songster
7 Years
Jun 6, 2015
Missouri
I’m getting a coop built. It’s 10x10 and I don’t know what I should do to give them enough ventilation. Im going to be putting 1 or 2 windows on it also. Should I put wood around the top and then right under the roof put hardware cloth?

Attachments

• 56737369-4EDB-4CC3-AA04-FC9ED9280C46.jpeg
    56737369-4EDB-4CC3-AA04-FC9ED9280C46.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 71E7A0A7-836C-41D0-8869-FA76C64F500F.jpeg
    71E7A0A7-836C-41D0-8869-FA76C64F500F.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 4
I’m getting a coop built. It’s 10x10 and I don’t know what I should do to give them enough ventilation. Im going to be putting 1 or 2 windows on it also. Should I put wood around the top and then right under the roof put hardware cloth?
Missouri gets stupid hot and humid in the summer from what I understand.

So I would make one wall only wire, and have windows at perch level so 8n the summer there is a breeze at the the perches.

Then, have it set up so that for winter windows are closed so there is NO breeze at perch level.

I would like to recommend that the entire top edges be wire only... but you don't have much roof overhang.

Maybe figure out how to put up an awning. Then under the awning put in a huge wired opening, like 10 feet by 2 feet.

Your best option, if you're not making an open air coop with at least one wall made entirely of wire, is big, roof-level vents at the top and bottom of the roof slope -- the entire way across the coop -- and leaving the triangles at the tops of both side walls open (all openings covered in hardware cloth).

I live in North Carolina and find that I need at least double the recommended 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized bird or DEEP shade, possibly both, if I want to keep the coop under 100F when the temperatures get above 90F.

This is my brooder:
1634685417471.png

And this is my new, open-air coop:
0917211627c_HDR.jpg

Thanks for responding. Sounds great. I wanted to know if I put hardware cloth over the top would that let too much cold air in. It can get pretty cold here in the winter.
As long as it doesn't let strong winds literally ruffle their feathers while on the roost, it's fine.
Temps and humidity should be about the same inside and outside the coop.
How cold is 'pretty cold'?

Thanks for responding. Sounds great. I wanted to know if I put hardware cloth over the top would that let too much cold air in. It can get pretty cold here in the winter.
Generally, as long as the ventilation is above roost level, the more the better. A little bit depends on the cold hardiness of your birds. I have Buff Orpingtons, and they handle single digits just fine, as long as there's no breeze on their roost.

As a general rule, chickens who are dry and can get out of the wind don't even notice cold until you're down below 0F.

They have built-in down parkas. :D

As long as it doesn't let strong winds literally ruffle their feathers while on the roost, it's fine.
Temps and humidity should be about the same inside and outside the coop.
How cold is 'pretty cold'?
It can get to about around 10. Sometimes less but not often.

Back
Top Bottom