venting about neighbor dog(not exciting but...)

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
I was looking out at chickens in the snow(well-on the shoveled area anyhow) and a coopers hawk dive bombed them(not really concerned with coopers) and flew away. so I go out to chicken count(all fine) and while I am out with my 2 chicken friendly dogs Bella the new neighbors gsd(who is a screamer barker and quite hyper) came from out of no where(she lives across the street and I was told already had a fractured leg as a pup from chasing car-smart owner) doing her bella bark/scream at the last minute at MY gsd, who was stunned and just stood there. my other dog, a 40 lb. mutt, is fine with other dogs (unless theres a disagreement then he sticks his nosey nose in) but he tore after her barking. towards the street they both go with me screaming "axle-no street" and the neighbor dog tears across the street and axle(my dog) stopped right at the edge of our wood fence line(10' from street). I don't know if this has effectively scared bella from future invasions but I was so proud of axle for not going in street(as I have tried to train them). I immediately called neighbor and told him and promptly hung up (to show my distaste for such an event) anyhow-people HAVE to realize that a dog can be like carrying a loaded gun. the OWNERS are at fault but that dog could have caused damage for all I know. grrrrr.

Wow, that was close wasn't it? Good thing you were outside, who knows what the neighbors dog would have done.. And good for Axle for knowing better than to go into the road.. Good job on training..
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
thanks but I don't know WHAT would of happened had I not been on top of the whole thing. he may have gone out? I know I was coming home from my road walk recently and my son had the dogs out(they are ALWAYS babysat by a human) and axle greeted me by running along the fenceline boofing but he didn't go under so that felt good. I don't KNOW if neighbor dog would hurt fowl but I WILL assume so if she comes again. and yeah, we treated him like the hero but if she had turned on him(shes appx. 70 lbs) I don't know where we'd be. thanks again and I wish ALL people realized they are responsible for what their dog does off their property(now watch axle chase a poor jogger when i turn my head!
big_smile.png
)

I'm thinking that if you had had a loaded gun at the time, you wouldn't have had to call the neighbor...or worry about the dog getting your chickens when you are not home. Just my humble opinion.

this all happened extremely quick and I think her(bellas) intent was frolicking with my dogs. one of the owners was supposedly out with her(although I heard NO ONE yelling for her) and i have no problem bb-gunning first. we have another neighbor with an unneutered(issue IMO)big male dog that I shot with the bb gun once and that worked. that was appx.9 yrs. ago and the dog is like 13 yo now and he only LOOKS from the other property . those owners were called 3x previously and I don't enjoy killing. so any new neighbors DO get the speech about me defending my flock from dogs.obviously they don't like their dogs too much. I am still hyper!!!

Back
Top Bottom