Venting Coop Advice

Welcome to BYC.

In Texas it's essentially impossible to have too much ventilation. The coop that inspired my own Open Air coop is in Texas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/jens-hens-a-southern-texas-coop.75707/

I don't have a coop page for mine yet, but it's featured extensively in this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

Drafts are when the wind blows on the birds strongly enough to ruffle their feathers so that they can't trap heat with their built-in down parkas.

This is 2 versions of draftiness:

View attachment 3125864View attachment 3125865

And here is what good ventilation in a closed coop looks like:

View attachment 3125868

And how the airflow works in a 3-sided Open Air coop without causing drafts:

View attachment 3125867
your diagrams crack me up!

This is the front of the coop. the chicken door will go on the front of this and the run will be out in front.
You need more. Not knocking on it. Mine is in a similar under another roof set up plus being in deep shade. I have a full 1 foot strip of HC all the way around the top plus a little more in the door. They still pant in the midnight hours. Granted mine is over crowded, that is a work in progress.

You need more. Not knocking on it. Mine is in a similar under another roof set up plus being in deep shade. I have a full 1 foot strip of HC all the way around the top plus a little more in the door. They still pant in the midnight hours. Granted mine is over crowded, that is a work in progress.
Thank you! We will look at adding “windows” with hardware cloth

That's going to be awesome weather protection!! Looks so safe in secure protected by the barn. How many chickens are you planning to have in there? Are you putting any windows in ? Do you have predator protection in mind? I think it's going to be excellent. I LOVE homemade coops, such better quality than pre-fab.
Thank you so much!! I think we will have to add windows. I guess we would just need to make covers for them for when it’s winter weather? We are going to put hardware cloth around the stilts leaving an extra foot along the ground against predators digging. Also will cover the run with hardware cloth. We put the chicks out there yesterday. With 10 days straight of 100 degree temps coming I wasn’t sure whether to yet. Some are planting today :( I’m on here to look up advice. There isn’t much wind today :(

I guess we would just need to make covers for them for when it’s winter weather?

Being in Texas you are unlikely to have enough winter to worry about covering windows unless the wind is whistling through at roost level -- though having top-hinged covers can help with shade and keeping heavy rain out.

Best for your coop would be to make the vents at the top of the walls on all 4 sides -- putting awnings on the wall that isn't under the other roof.

You could even take all the siding off the wall that faces the building and replace it wiht wire since the weather won't be able to get in from that side.

I think we will have to add windows. I guess we would just need to make covers for them for when it’s winter weather?
When I say windows, I mean glass, for light. So, hardware cloth attached to the window frame, glass windows that open and shut.... Or plexiglass ? Do you have a thermometer in there? It looks like given the protection and shade, it's hopefully cooler than outdoor temp. You could insulate it if not, and/or put a fan in there....

Back
Top Bottom