vents & airflow

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Apr 21, 2012.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    We started building the new duck house finally. Or I did after DH fell asleep on the couch... He came out to help me after he heard the saw going for a while and wondered what on earth I was up to.

It is based off our raised beds in design - using fence boards. It measures 6' x 3' by ~26" high at the lowest point. The roof will be similar in style to the one on their current duck house (dog house kit from Lowe's).
    How much ventilation does it need?

It's 5 boards high instead of 3 as our raised garden beds are
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have changed my mind completely about ventlation since i read this and bought this book Fresh Air Poultry Houses. I keep my windows open in the winter top part and never have my duck/chickn coops completely closed up. Matter of fact we just bought windows at Habitat to add to the ones we already have. and lots of venting at the roof. maybe this article by Harvey Ussery will help.
    http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/6/6-5/preparing_the_flock_for_winter.html

3. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY

I love Harvey Ussery! Actually, I love how he writes. Kinda reminds me of talking to an old timer (compliment) who really loves talking about what he enjoys.

Anywho, that article convinced me to leave the coop windows open year round too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by