Vents?

I finished the coop! I added 2 3” vents, but I can add 2 more if needed. The roof also adds a bit of ventilation since it’s not airtight underneath. Let me know what you think! There is 1’ of roof over the run, but I’ll be moving snow out as well when it snows heavy (also the birds are in there so you can compare size of coop/run to the two birds, they are smaller then you think haha)

1230EC91-2125-429D-AC15-615FECF903F8.jpeg
CFD8EE9A-DE4D-48B2-91D7-D83B98FEAB37.jpeg
810D0B2D-67D3-409E-A2A4-DE4C373A7BBC.jpeg

Pics of inside?
I would add solid roofing over run.
Don't you live in a really cold climate?
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-11-10_19-36-44.png

Pics of inside?
I would add solid roofing over run.
Don't you live in a really cold climate?
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1956438

I didn’t take pictures of the inside (I forgot). It’s just an open space with one roost in the corner, and about 4” of pine flakes as bedding. I will also be adding a milk crate full of hay and covered in hay tomorrow (the feed store wasn’t open today and I ran out of hay).

I live in mid Connecticut. Average temp in summer is around 85°F, and temps in winter range from 25°F to 5°F most days, but last year it was -10°F a few days, and its gotten as low as -18°F. It’s winter temps from mid-late November to mid-late April (sometimes into May)

You could fill the void space on the sides of your coop with your choice of insulation and block in with another layer of ply - also, if you're not using deep-litter over winter, perhaps underfloor as well.
You can use bubble wrap, straw, cotton, synthetic fibre, polystyrene panels or actual insulation.
You should open up the gables as meshed areas instead of being blocked to prevent stuffiness and I'd recommend one large top-hinged shutter opposite the pop-door which is meshed underneath to allow for ample airflow over summer as heat will be a bigger health risk for your birds.
An IR point and click thermometer would be a good investment too for spot-checking the temperature in the coop so you know if you need to move it to a more sheltered environment. Those come in handy in general.
If your birds go broody, you could 'hatch-a-heater' into their flock - or move in a 6-week old heavy pullet. They'll be the ones governing the pecking order at that age.

You could fill the void space on the sides of your coop with your choice of insulation and block in with another layer of ply - also, if you're not using deep-litter over winter, perhaps underfloor as well.
You can use bubble wrap, straw, cotton, synthetic fibre, polystyrene panels or actual insulation.
You should open up the gables as meshed areas instead of being blocked to prevent stuffiness and I'd recommend one large top-hinged shutter opposite the pop-door which is meshed underneath to allow for ample airflow over summer as heat will be a bigger health risk for your birds.
An IR point and click thermometer would be a good investment too for spot-checking the temperature in the coop so you know if you need to move it to a more sheltered environment. Those come in handy in general.
If your birds go broody, you could 'hatch-a-heater' into their flock - or move in a 6-week old heavy pullet. They'll be the ones governing the pecking order at that age.

I can’t really insulate the coop due to the way the doors are. I am using 4” of bedding + a hay filled milk crate. Like I said previously, I am not so worried about the heat of the summer. My other birds were just fine with a coop like this in the summer (and they lived 12 years). I am just worried that since these guys are so small, and there’s only two of them, that I will have a frostbite issue. I wouldn’t be so worried if I wasn’t showing them.

Also, I have a temp gun. I use it for my snakes + rats.

I live in mid Connecticut. Average temp in summer is around 85°F, and temps in winter range from 25°F to 5°F most days, but last year it was -10°F a few days, and its gotten as low as -18°F. It’s winter temps from mid-late November to mid-late April (sometimes into May)

You also didn't tell us where you are located.

Just not yet on the profile/under avatar

You also didn't tell us where you are located.

If you're that worried, might want to keep them inside a heated building.

I did say where I was from, in the exact same post you quoted

I can’t keep them inside, and I’d much rather them outside since they enjoy it way more.

Hi, nice to see someone else from good old CT. I really like corrugated roofing like you have for venting of coops. As long as you didn’t seal the ribs I think you will get some nice air exchanges. One thing I do not like is “plastic” roofing. The problem is that plastic lets the heat in. If you had used the same roofing but in metal that would have reflected all the heat away come summertime.

Back
Top Bottom