Vents?

Hi, nice to see someone else from good old CT. I really like corrugated roofing like you have for venting of coops. As long as you didn’t seal the ribs I think you will get some nice air exchanges. One thing I do not like is “plastic” roofing. The problem is that plastic lets the heat in. If you had used the same roofing but in metal that would have reflected all the heat away come summertime.

I actually almost sealed the ribs, but I decided against it since the seals let as much air in as they blocked up. I did think after that it would be good for vents though.

I also thought metal would heat up more? That’s why I decided to go for plastic. It seemed everyone was using it, and I saw almost no one using the metal, which I assumed is because it held heat more, but I didn’t really look into it much

I actually almost sealed the ribs, but I decided against it since the seals let as much air in as they blocked up. I did think after that it would be good for vents though.

I also thought metal would heat up more? That’s why I decided to go for plastic. It seemed everyone was using it, and I saw almost no one using the metal, which I assumed is because it held heat more, but I didn’t really look into it much
Nope the metal deflects the sun rays/ heat away.

Nope the metal deflects the sun rays/ heat away.

thats interesting! If it gets too hot in the summer I’ll be sure to switch it to the metal then, thank you!

I’ve always made coops with shingles, so this is the first coop without them haha

Here are the pictures of the inside! One roost, 4 inches of pine flakes, and a milk crate covered and filled with hay

4E892202-7DF9-4494-BDDD-813D3334A1BE.jpeg
0DF1421C-7629-4DF9-BA1D-F609B2C73408.jpeg

Nice looking coop, but is that plastic chicken netting on it? I would switch that out for 1/4 inch hardware cloth. What you have now is not going to stop any predator's from getting to your birds.

Nice looking coop, but is that plastic chicken netting on it? I would switch that out for 1/4 inch hardware cloth. What you have now is not going to stop any predator's from getting to your birds.

It is VERY sturdy plastic, Not that weak thin netting. It seemed almost as strong as the hardware cloth, and twice as cheap, so I went with it instead. I only have to deal with stray cats and hawks in the day, so I don’t see an issue using it

Back
Top Bottom