Venturing into silkie territory!!! QUESTIONS ABOUT THESE BEAUTIES!!

welcome-byc.gif
I just got into silkies 6 months ago and you are in for a lot of fun!! I read the following thread from start to finish and learned a ton in a short time.
You may want to do the same.
old.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=297632&p=1

Do a search on this site for mites for the various treatments; there should be some pictures if you google on the web. Since your new ISA was in the coop a short time I think getting a Permethrin based spray at the farm store should be fine. Change out the bedding and spray it well..., but others may have further suggestions. Some people use the permethrin spray or powder to treat directly on birds (same ingredient in stuff like ear mite treatment for dogs and cats I think.) Others use Ivermectin drop on which is made for cattle and then dose by weight which will also worm the chicken as well. It costs $30 but will last for a couple years.

Quote:
Thank you,
I am now heading out to get something to treat the girls... You're probably right about the way they were caged for sale... I do have my doubts about the treatment o the ISA though, she is 16months old and is quite a lot thinner than our 26 week old birds. I don't know if that's due to her being covered in lice or not. We will fix her up and hopefully she will put on weight..
Thank you all for your advice and help... Will keep you all updated as to how they new birds settle in...

So, we treated all the girls with a spray on lice/mite treatment... Cleaned out and sprayed the coops. They should be ok now, we will retreat them in a week or so just to be sure.. We also founs some small black ticks on the new ISA browns comb:( We have definitely learned our lesson on checking birds over before we bring them home, thats for sure...
Thanks again for all your help everybody..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom