Verm-X for treatment of round worms

Chickn chick 46

Songster
10 Years
May 22, 2009
Hi All, its been a while since I've visited but knew I could come here for answers. Last week I found three dead round worms in one of my hens poo. The last time I saw some worms was probably in the spring but didn't make the connection
he.gif
. She is the only hen with runny, gross droppings consistently ( I clean the droppings board daily)

My question is how long do round worms survive outside the body or were the worms I found already dead when they were expelled?

If I have to treat for round worms I would like to avoid chemical treatment if possible. Has anyone used the Verm-X and had successful treatment or is it another preventative.

BTW I have been putting the natural ACV in their water since they were chicks and right now they are drinking garlic water

Thanks for any input
frow.gif

\\

Last edited:
Round worms can be a big problem. You might not realize it but most of your chickens probably have them. To the best of my knowledge (be nice BYC"ers) Verm-X is an herbal suppliment that is supposed to keep worms from developing but once you get them you have to use a chemical to get rid of them. Eprinex is my treatment of choice. You treat each chicken individually by putting 3 drops on the back of their neck right on the skin. If it gets soaked into the feathers it will not work. I retreat in 2 weeks.

With Eprinex you don't have to throw the eggs away (per my Vet). It will also get rid of other critters like lice and mites.

Only use Eprinex when you know you have a problem. Don't treat on a usual basis because the worms could develop a tolerance to it and it will no longer be effective.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Worms cannot survive outside the host. When you see them in poop, they are either dead or dying and that means you have an infestation inside the chickens innards, and they are laying thousands of eggs to be deposited into the soil, then picked up by your chickens again to restart the lifecycle. Verm-X might be a preventative, but not a treatment. Purpletree23 is correct about eprinex. I recommend that since you'll be worming for the first time, use wazine 17 first to get rid of the large roundworms. There's a 14 day egg withdrawal with wazine, toss the eggs. On the 14th day reworm your chickens with eprinex like purpletree23 stated. Eprinex kills other types of worms that chickens get as well. There is no egg withdrawal after using eprinex. Edited to add; when you decide to worm them again later down the road, use a different wormer such as valbazen or safeguard to prevent worm immunity...you want to rotate wormers.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advice. My local feed place can't get the wazine for me. I don't know what my next step should be. I don't know of any farm vets around here (Cape Cod) just domestic. I suppose I should give them a call and maybe they can help me out.

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom