Vermicompost questions.

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Okay, so I started my lovely little worm bin for my rabbit cages.

So far, so good. I came to the realization that I probably started them at the wrong time of year.. Because these bins are filled with rabbit poo, they are NOT in the house, but in the barn. The barn is not a well insulated barn. I'm worried my little wormy friends are going to freeze. Any ideas? I thought about building a brooder type box and then placing a brood lamp in the box... Any other ideas?

Also, I bought worms, but I don't think I bought enough, where is the cheapest place to get red worms?

Thanks.

-Kim

Quote:
I use Euro Worms. They are larger than redworms, can be used for fishing like nightcrawlers..... Stay alive on the hook longer, lighter in color so fish see and strike faster and the chickens love them.. http://www.wormman.com/europeans.cfm

Until
the ground freezes solid I wouldn't worry about it, because composting manure gives off it's own heat for quite a while. In the springtime the worm capsules will hatch and each one has between 5-20 worms in each. So in theory as long as new material is added/composted you'll have them there forever.

Back
Top Bottom