Vermont

Pics
Quote:
that's probably frostbite, you should search on the forum for how to treat it

i put bag balm on my rooster's comb to try to keep from getting frostbite on the coldest of nights.

supposed to be some very cold temps middle of next week, sorry, it's not spring yet

Wasn't sure if it was that or if it was just blood since the ones that have it are lower on the totem pole and often get their combs picked at but the higher birds. It didn't look big more like a little dot of blood that had dried and turned black but I will put on some bag balm just in case to protect it more for the winter.

Ours have done fine in an uninsulated, roomy coop...but we "cheat" and give them a heat lamp or two when it gets down to 10 or colder...for their safety and my peace of mind.

Quote:
Mine do not seem to mind the snow. They have been out scratching around in it like normal. It could be the breed as this year’s group like the snow better than my older hens.
We have been lucky so far with little snow as of yet. If this weather pattern keeps up we may have an early spring.

Quote:
Mine do not seem to mind the snow. They have been out scratching around in it like normal. It could be the breed as this year’s group like the snow better than my older hens.
We have been lucky so far with little snow as of yet. If this weather pattern keeps up we may have an early spring.

We were doing well up until Wednesday and then we got 6 inches all at once. They didn't mind when it was just a dusting but 6 " is definitely getting the raised eyebrow from them lol. The hens will go outside in the run and will walk or fly up the paths to the spots where there is less snow but the look of disgust on their face tells it all. Poor dears what are they going to do the years that we get 3 or 4 feet.

Well, when it gets deep, we probably look kind of silly out there shoveling a path for the chickens - as long as they can see some grass, out they come.

Quote:
Hehe yeah I have a teenage son that does that for me as long as I pay him
tongue.png

Quote:

We were doing well up until Wednesday and then we got 6 inches all at once. They didn't mind when it was just a dusting but 6 " is definitely getting the raised eyebrow from them lol. The hens will go outside in the run and will walk or fly up the paths to the spots where there is less snow but the look of disgust on their face tells it all. Poor dears what are they going to do the years that we get 3 or 4 feet.

We got 5 inches that storm as we are just south of you. Fred the dominate Roo went right out and the rest followed. We will have to see what they do when there is 3-4 ft. It may be a different story then
lol.png

Quote:
Hehe yeah I have a teenage son that does that for me as long as I pay him
tongue.png

I have not done that as of yet for my chickens. I most likely will if we get more than 6" of snow.

Mine all seem to be doing okay with the cold. I do have a light in the coop but pretty much that's more for me so I can see what I'm doing when I'm in there lol. They really are not big fans of the snow though I had to coax them to come back in for the night because they didn't want to walk back across the snow. Some of my Cochins who have really tall combs have some black on their combs but it doesn't seem to bother them and they are warm enough huddled together at night. Personally myself though I can't wait for winter to be over. Is it spring yet??

I was just coming on to see if anyone else has had frostbite problems yet. We have had some COLD nights here! I think both my roos have frostbite on the top of their combs and by Black Copper seems to be getting some on the wattles as well. None of my hens are experiencing any issues though, so I don't know if it's due to the large combs on the roos or not enough ventilation in the coop. I've got a 10x10 shed with a 12' peaked roof and soffet vents along 2 sides. I've got 2 roos and 18 hens in the coop now.

Anyone have any suggestions? Do I need more ventilation or do the roos just need some extra winter care? I didn't use any vasoline, so I'm afraid the damage is done now, but should I add some to prevent more frostbite? I do not use a heat lamp or any light or water heaters in the coop.

My Marans roos, and a few hens, get frostbite too. The wattles are because they drag in the water when they drink, and the comb (I am guessing) it is just so big and the boys don't seem to know when to rest and put their head under their wing. my experiance with frostbite so far is to keep and eye on it but..... it healed well and the animals did not get it the following year because they had smaller combs and waddles.

Back
Top Bottom