Vermont

Pics
My sister had the same problem with her hens. She had too many roos and they were being too pushy with the hens. She moved all but 3 roos for 25 hens and now they are laying like crazy. So there is hope.
I had two Roos in with my 18 hens, but one of them (not Dr. Ruckus) was starting to get a little too brave with me, fighting with my alpha roo and my hens were starting to get bare on the back. We took care of the extra roo last Monday, I roasted him yesterday and made chicken salad and stock. I thought the hens might be off laying for a few days after we got everyone riled up catching him, but they laid 14 eggs the next day and at least a dozen a day since (up from 6-12 a day before).

Keara,

I just stumbled onto this thread. I am from the Mass/VT/New York line and have been looking for black copper marans forever without any luck. Where are you located in Vermont?

I'm in Bristol VT, a good drive north of you, but if you are up for it I have Black Copper Marans. Looks like the batch I have going right now, all 22 eggs are developing well, should hatch about friday. PM me for details.

I had two Roos in with my 18 hens, but one of them (not Dr. Ruckus) was starting to get a little too brave with me, fighting with my alpha roo and my hens were starting to get bare on the back.
We took care of the extra roo last Monday, I roasted him yesterday and made chicken salad and stock. I thought the hens might be off laying for a few days after we got everyone riled up catching him, but they laid 14 eggs the next day and at least a dozen a day since (up from 6-12 a day before).

Glad it wasn't Ruckus..... It sounds like the girls are as happy as you to be rid of him!

If you can I would hatch out a couple of chicks soon so you have a backup roo, this time of year is bad for predation.

Glad it wasn't Ruckus..... It sounds like the girls are as happy as you to be rid of him!

If you can I would hatch out a couple of chicks soon so you have a backup roo, this time of year is bad for predation.

Thanks Keara, I'm glad it wasn't Dr. Ruckus as well, it was our Barred Rock. He was even bigger than Ruckus and has some big spurs that were growing as fast as his attitude.

I was wondering about hatching out some eggs, but I don't want to incubate or brood, is it too early to start trying to encourage a broody? I was thinking about setting up an enclosed dog crate in the coop and making it broody friendly hoping someone would get the urge. I'm just not sure if I should wait until it warms up a bit more.

Off to research more about broodies raising chicks...
caf.gif

Noymira,

Around here broodies just happen, but it helps to have a silky hen as they are really good at it. I've never "encouraged a broody" but let me know how it goes for you? Once they are broody I just put the eggs I want under them and let the hens do the rest of the work hatching and raising the young..... so easy! I bet any day now your hens will start to go broody, pick them up tonight and see if anyone is missing their breast underfeathers. If they are, it's called a brood patch and they are about to go broody. Good luck!

-Keara

Last edited:
Noymira,

Around here broodies just happen, but it helps to have a silky hen as they are really good at it. I've never "encuraged a broody" but let me know how it goes for you? Once they are broody I just put the eggs I want under them and let the hens do the rest of the work hatching and raising the young..... so easy! I bet any day now your hens will start to go broody, pick them up tonight and see if anyone is missing their breast underfeathers. If they are, it's called a brood patch and they are about to go broody. Good luck!

-Keara

Thanks Keara- I'll start checking them, with 18 at least one has got to go broody, I hope.... I had a white rock that went broody on me last spring for 8 weeks (but I did not have a rooster) maybe she'll try again this year. I don't have any silkies, have you found your BCM hens to go broody often?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have only ever had one or two broody Marans.
I agree last year seemed like someone was always broody.
idunno.gif
Year of the broody maybe?

Keara how are this?

I do. I use them when there is molting and also if a roo has a favorite hen that starts to show wear.

I think they are great. Just be sure to get the right size. Too small is too tight and too big slides off to the side.

Back
Top Bottom