Vermont

Pics
Hello from Middlebury! I'm new to BYC and new to chickens (just placed my order at Agway yesterday). So excited!!! I'm still researching DIY coops and am going to run to the store today to figure out lumber costs. Any pointers? At this point I'm just hoping to keep them all alive and happy (plus, maybe they'll gobble some ticks too - I know my dogs would appreciate that). I'll worry about eggs and meat later. Thanks!

Hey I am just a stones throw from you in Bristol. I just put in my order for turkeys. We did a DIY coop. I would suggest looking around for lumber before you buy. We found that the prices at Home Depot were better than the local lumberyards. Our coop which holds around 21 chickens cost around 300$ to make. Good luck :).

Lily

Hello! We were actually at the box stores today, and walked around Home Depot to get an idea of what we needed. I haven't decided on a plan yet (tractor or stationary) and figure I have a couple weeks to think about it because my chicks won't be out there for a few months yet (they aren't even coming until the end of April.

Hey I am just a stones throw from you in Bristol. I just put in my order for turkeys. We did a DIY coop. I would suggest looking around for lumber before you buy. We found that the prices at Home Depot were better than the local lumberyards. Our coop which holds around 21 chickens cost around 300$ to make. Good luck :).

Lily

The prices at RK Miles are actually very competitive, and they deliver for free! Everybody there is really helpful except a guy named Stephen who seems to only want to deal with big contractors. If you get him acting like a jerk please complain and maybe they'll finally get rid of him.

The best deal I've found on hardware cloth is at wayfair.com. I used it on all sides, top, and bottom, in case a mouse chews a hole which would allow a weasel to get in. A weasel can fit through a 1" hole. I used 1/2" hardware cloth.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll check them out this weekend!

The prices at RK Miles are actually very competitive, and they deliver for free! Everybody there is really helpful except a guy named Stephen who seems to only want to deal with big contractors. If you get him acting like a jerk please complain and maybe they'll finally get rid of him.

The best deal I've found on hardware cloth is at wayfair.com. I used it on all sides, top, and bottom, in case a mouse chews a hole which would allow a weasel to get in. A weasel can fit through a 1" hole. I used 1/2" hardware cloth.

Everyone enjoying this spring weather? My chickens are laying the most I've had yet, got 16 eggs from 18 hens the other day!

7c312a95.jpg

All I need are some easter eggers to round out my egg basket, not that I need more chickens, but I'd really love some blue/green eggs!

Anyone have any broody hens yet? None of mine seem inclined yet, but I'm still hopeful.

hey guys greeting from the thriving metropolus of ely. been workin on my coop the girls dont come till the 13 of april looking forward to having chickens again havent had any for about 18 years so phsyced

Everyone enjoying this spring weather? My chickens are laying the most I've had yet, got 16 eggs from 18 hens the other day!
7c312a95.jpg

All I need are some easter eggers to round out my egg basket, not that I need more chickens, but I'd really love some blue/green eggs!
Anyone have any broody hens yet? None of mine seem inclined yet, but I'm still hopeful.

No broody hens yet. I do have the incubators up and running and should have some chicks around Easter Weekend. I am hoping my orpingtons decide they want to sit at some point this spring. I have 11 EE eggs in the incubator now greens and blues!!

beautiful eggs Nomira.

one of my hen's, Moneypenny, a blue Orpington is broody, I keep taking out the eggs though, and she's not having much luck getting the two golf balls and one ping pong ball to hatch.

Finally got my first eggs! Now we are getting 2-3 eggs a day from our 3 hens. We got rid of our only Rooster. He was way too aggressive with my young children. How's everyone else?

Back
Top Bottom