Verticle gardening

When going vertical the weight of the veggies has to be taken into consideration. Some are large and require additional support like cantaloupe.
The spacing on the trellis can also be a hindrance. If you cannot access both sides large fruits/veggies on the wrong side can be quite difficult to harvest since they may not fit through the spaces.

Don't get me wrong I am all for it. I have grown cantaloupe vertically. I had to pay close attention and carefully weave the vines through as well as make slings to support them. Beans are a fun one as they hang through the arch for easier picking. Cucumbers would also dangle through.

Since I have some gardening peeps here.
Have any of you tried strawberry towers? The stackable pots. I had a terrible year with strawberries last year and want to try something different.

Since I have some gardening peeps here.
Have any of you tried strawberry towers? The stackable pots. I had a terrible year with strawberries last year and want to try something different.
I know the following isn't the pots you asked about but here it is anyway.

I grew them in a self watering set up several years ago. It was very successful until my wicking material gave out. Now clearly they cannot over winter in this kind of set up. It was a fun experiment.
Not a fantastic picture but this was early season. Let me know if you want details on the set up.

IMG_20190620_111533.jpg

I found another picture and cropped it to show the set up better.
Screenshot_20240223-154620_kindlephoto-52121250.png

Last edited:
I switched to vertical growing for cucumbers and tomatoes simply because it's way easier to prune than army crawling on the ground in a field of massive tomato plants. My opinion of course not to mention can maximize space by fitting alot closer than traditional

Thinking something along the lines of this.
The dollar tree has stackable pots that resemble a tower such as this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240224_205219_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224_205219_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
That'll work! For strawberries you have to get the pH in a favorable range, they like some nitrogen but not too much, emphasize on the Phosphorus and Potassium more. Too much nitrogen yields a nice looking plant but little to none fruits. Also only fertilize in the fall when the plant stop producing

Back
Top Bottom