Verticle gardening

aziegler17

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Aug 16, 2023
Ohio
Has anyone tried a set up something like this for verticle growing of squash or zuchinni?
I have minimal space in the back yard but have 2 beds that I want to at least have 1 of each plant.

1000011073.jpg

I have done that for cucumbers, gherkins (also known as cucamelons), watermelon, and cantaloupe. Never for zucchini or squash, though I grow both every year.

My trellis doesn't look exactly like that photo, mine actually takes up less space.
I used that same kind of wire in your photo and attached bamboo sticks (like the ones below) so the sticks would go straight into the ground, holding up the wire vertically. It was very sturdy, and it's lasted for about three years.
1708622173675.png

Has anyone tried a set up something like this for verticle growing of squash or zuchinni?
I have minimal space in the back yard but have 2 beds that I want to at least have 1 of each plant.
This is probably obvious, but you would want a vining kind of squash or zucchini, not the bush varieties that are often described as "small" plants (they are not really small, just less enormous than the vining ones if you let the vines run all over the ground.)

I have done that for cucumbers, gherkins (also known as cucamelons), watermelon, and cantaloupe. Never for zucchini or squash, though I grow both every year.

My trellis doesn't look exactly like that photo, mine actually takes up less space.
I used that same kind of wire in your photo and attached bamboo sticks (like the ones below) so the sticks would go straight into the ground, holding up the wire vertically. It was very sturdy, and it's lasted for about three years.
View attachment 3754513
This is awesome!! It would take up much less space to use these instead of the larger pieces of woods. Thank you for the wonderful idea! Also examples of what I could grow with it.

I use an simple A-frame with some fencing nailed to it and grow cucumbers up it each year, but the design in the first post would work as well if you only have light coming from one side. I setup my A-frame with plants on the east and west sides and both sides get plenty of light over the course of the day.

Pretty much any annual vine plant could use the same setup. Perennial vines (grapes/etc.) would need an arbor which is a more heavy duty and longer lasting structure.

When going vertical the weight of the veggies has to be taken into consideration. Some are large and require additional support like cantaloupe.
The spacing on the trellis can also be a hindrance. If you cannot access both sides large fruits/veggies on the wrong side can be quite difficult to harvest since they may not fit through the spaces.

Don't get me wrong I am all for it. I have grown cantaloupe vertically. I had to pay close attention and carefully weave the vines through as well as make slings to support them. Beans are a fun one as they hang through the arch for easier picking. Cucumbers would also dangle through.

This is probably obvious, but you would want a vining kind of squash or zucchini, not the bush varieties that are often described as "small" plants (they are not really small, just less enormous than the vining ones if you let the vines run all over the ground.)
Honestly did not know there was more than one variety, but that is good information. I was more so saying I would only need or have available space for 1 plant per bed of mine. Since I have such small quarters to garden in.

I use an simple A-frame with some fencing nailed to it and grow cucumbers up it each year, but the design in the first post would work as well if you only have light coming from one side. I setup my A-frame with plants on the east and west sides and both sides get plenty of light over the course of the day.

Pretty much any annual vine plant could use the same setup. Perennial vines (grapes/etc.) would need an arbor which is a more heavy duty and longer lasting structure.
Our home sits front facing east and backyard faces west. So summer time we get 100% sunshine in the backyard. ☀️

Back
Top Bottom