The great 2024 wicking bucket/pot experiments

21hens-incharge

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
Last year between working full time and our dry climate my garden was largely a bust. The tomatoes succumbed to disease and splitting, bugs got my strawberries, peppers were stunted by lack of water and likely nutrients. Lets not even talk about the squash bugs.....nasty life sucking things they are.

This year I plan to try again with a few modifications.
While I still love my raised beds keeping things well watered was challenging.

I need to replace the wood on one raised bed. That means digging the soil out. I see that as an opportunity to experiment. I have watched many videos on wicking boxes, tubs, buckets and pots. I think that it just may work for my peppers and even strawberries.

Things in the boxes are still frozen if I try to dig down more than a few inches. This is giving me time to prepare wicking buckets!
I haven't set seeds yet so bonus TIME!

Follow along as I attempt this in zone 4-5 in Colorado's dry climate!

Step one will be sorting out the greenhouse and setting up pots/buckets. That begins this afternoon.

My previous vertical self watering strawberry set up was based off this video.
My wicking medium failed (rotted off) in the late season. I plan to try again with a similar yet different set up. This year I will use hydroponic net pots filled with soil as the "wick" into the 6" pipe and larger pots for the plants. Bare root strawberry plants are first available here the beginning of April.

I decided to use food grade 5 gallon buckets since I would have to buy some either way. Those and the net pots have arrived from Amazon!

The weather is getting warmer each day which has me itching to get going.
As I prepare the buckets I will take photos to share along the way.

I have had pest issues in the past so will be experimenting with companion planting more going forward.

If anyone has tips on dealing with squash bugs I am open to all suggestions on how to rid my garden of those nasty things.

The only way I know of to curtail the :duc squash bugs is to go out every single day and kill any that I see. And look for their eggs too. :mad:

I'm going to fool 'em this year by not planting squash. I haven't gotten enough to make it worth the space, and the few I got this year were not very good.

Thanks for following along on this seasons garden adventure @Sally PB!

I will try adding things like Dill and Basil near the squash. Between hopefully driving them off and hand plucking them (🤢) I hope to get a few squash at least.

I read in the farmers almanac that once they reach adult stage pesticides are futile.

With the great weather this afternoon we are replacing the wood on one of the raised beds.
I am trying very hard to be patient and not set 1000 seeds right now.

Oh, my, I know how that goes!!! :lau
:lau

Bored Cabin Fever GIF

Following along. I like to learn new things. I've not had squash bugs where we are now knock on wood. I am planting some new squash this year. I've never seen yellow summer squash that grow on a vine. I'm going to use a cattle panel to let them climb on. I will be watching for the bugs for sure.

Back
Top Bottom